Search the forum,

Discuss Wall and Floor Tiling Advice for Kate the Mate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Please see my earlier thread for background information to this problem.

http://www.tilersforums.com/stone-tiling-forum/40827-travertine-tiles-shower-help-needed.html

The tiler/plumber started on Tuesday this week. He brought with him a younger guy to assist. They took out the bath, washbasin, loo and shower tray and boarded and then tiled the floor. The tiles had all been sealed first. So far, so good I thought.

Yesterday they put the bath back in and then started tiling around the bath. All seemed to be going well as far as I could see. Today, the main man went out 'to get some grout' and was gone for over three hours. During that time his assistant (a carpenter) carried on tiling. I went upstairs to see how he was getting on and was horrified to see that he had started at one corner of the wall and has worked across the wall, but when he gets to the other corner there is a gap which he tells me he will fill with grout. He has used very few spacers, working mainly by eye, so the grouting gaps are not consistent, some are big, some are small. My picture will explain better than me.

When the main man gets back he tells me not to worry, he will cut some slithers of tile to put in the gaps, which he has done, but to me the whole thing has been spoiled. There is a full tile at one end of the wall and a slither of tile at the other, and it's the wall facing you as you come into the bathroom. I could have wept. I really wanted a great job and, to me, it looks amateurish. Picture enclosed.

On another wall the bath is centred and the taps are centred too, but the tiling is not centred on the taps so the tiling looks unbalanced. Please tell me, will it look better when it's grouted, which is what the tiler tells me? Am I being too particular?

I really wanted to feel that this was fabulous, it's costing a fortune, but I feel physically sick about what to do or think.

Attachments

• PB010102.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 268
  • PB020104.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 264
Kate

just had a thought

depending on how well today goes, can you refer him to this site for membership, its better we re educate him than he runs around oxfordshire lashing up peoples wetrooms

Interestingly I have two friends in the area, both looking for tilers, one for a wetroom, who were waiting on the results of mine before going ahead.

If you have a flat trowel you can try and get it under the top tile and lever it off the wall, try and get under as far as you can, you might have to twist it side to side to try and dig under, no harm intrying, one or two tile may break though due to the nature of the stone, or maybe a bolster chisel and a hammer, gently though, let us know what goes on.

That tub may have been used to mix adhesive in though. i would guess that if the lid is with the bucket it has been used.

Good point, how many mixing buckets do you throw away though lol, unless it's holed, speculation on all parts, are they there yet Kate / Have you tried removing a tile and asking what was used ?

It's done. Phew. It took quite a long time for him to go. I first of all told him I didn't want him to continue with the job today, that I had a number of issues that I needed to address. I pointed out all the areas that I thought were wrong, he challenged most of it, didn't give a proper explanation as to why the walls hadn't been properly marked out. I said I had been most concerned when he left 'a young carpenter' to do the work when I was expecting a professional tiler.

He agreed and apologised for that. He asked why I hadn't complained yesterday. I said because he wasn't here yesterday. He said he thought I was happy with what they had done. I said it was more worrying that he was happy with what he had done. I pointed out all the uneven grout lines, where some where thick and some were thin and he said it was more to do with the tiles than the tiler. I told him I wasn't stupid and that I can tile a wall, it just so happens that I didn't want to tile this bathroom as I wanted it to look fantastic and what I had got was a worse than DIY job. He disagreed that it was that bad but agreed there was room for improvement.

There were long silences where he just stared at the tiles. Then he asked for an opportunity to put it right. I said no, I had no confidence that he could put it right and I just wanted to get the tiles off the wall and start again. He asked more than once if he could do the job again but I said I no, at the moment I wasn't going to agree to that. I suggested he just took his tools and go but it took ages for him to do that. He just stood his ground.

I said to the young lad, 'do you think this is a bad job?' He said 'I'm not experienced enough to say' to which I replied 'why was he left in charge of the job then?'

He started to get a bit cross towards the end and said I would be bad mouthing him around the effing town, and I said I wouldn't. I just wanted to bring it to a closure. He said he hated to think of leaving a customer dissatisfied and, again, asked if he could put it right, but I said I would need to discuss with husband as at the moment I was in no mood to carry on.

So, at the moment the loo, basin and shower are not installed and the tiling is dodgy. Should I take the tiles off myself now do you think? Without the thought of you backing me I'm sure I wouldn't have managed this, especially on my own, so thanks everyone.

I am not sure how this will all work out ! Having not given him the opportunity to put the work right may not look good in court ( should it proceed that way) Has any money been paid ?
I would think the best way would be to reach an agreement with this guy and yourself before you take the tiles off.

If it ever were to go to court the simple answer to why he wasn't given a chance to put his work right is it wasn't his work, it was a carpenters work who he left to do the job, I wouldn't pay a penny and would worry less, these types are chancers and the last thing he wants is court, he was worrying about Kate bad mouthing his name as it was, never mind having it dragged in court, and with all the nice pictures as well.

Ooh, er. I've started already taking the tiles off. I did say he could send me an invoice for any materials he has paid for. We supplied all the tiles.

Take them off, see if he sends you an invoice, pay him if you feel it's not over priced and fair enough to get shot of him.

How are the tiles coming off, easy ? is the adhesive still wet in the centre of the tile ?

Reply to Wall and Floor Tiling Advice for Kate the Mate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.