Discuss Wall hung basin in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

I take it by your shock you have already tiled the area.

Seeing as the wall is dot and dabbed, I would hang via some extra long basin fixings that will bridge the void between wall and plasterboard, then behind where the basin will sit, drill 3 10mm holes and fill void with expanding foam. This will stop any movement that may occur when then basin is filled with water or a drunk home owner is hanging off it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1779

What we recommend is drilling a 30mm hole into the tile and taking out a plug. Take out the plasterboard if you need to as well.

drillingtiles2.jpg

This photo shows the hole options from the bathroom fitters kit. At 16mm its too pokey. Get the 30mm core out.

Once you have the holes drilled out then look beyond the plasterboard to find a solid substrate like brick or wood. If its just a stud wall then I would go into the room behind, remove the plasterboard and provide a substantial bracket or brace at the back of the sink. Its cheaper to cut out plasterboard in the room behind than take of the tiles.

Oh and if its masonary then you will be able to drill through the 30mm hole without fear of smashing the tile on the wall. If you went for the 16mm then its too close.

3.JPG

A fisher fixing kit pushed through a 16mm hole is too risky.

2.jpg

Pop it through a 30mm and you will get the best view of the substrate behind to ensure a solid anchor

365drills_pack.jpg

The bathroom Fitters Kit contains both 16mm and 30mm

professional_builder4.jpg

Note Professional Builder recommend our 16mm when things are easier...

professional_builder1.jpg

professional_builder3.jpg

professional_builder2.jpg

guideplate.jpg

So I would use the 16mm when you know whats behind the wall.

Failing that you could drill out with a 16mm first and then if you need to open out the hole use the 30mm.

Just a thought

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 15

Reply to Wall hung basin in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
J
Hello. My first post. After having good search, these tiling forums are the best I have come...
Replies
Views
I
Q
I have noticed that alot of people on the forum ask questions on tile backer boards and also...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Wall hung basin
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.