Discuss Wall prep advice needed.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

daveymc

Chaps & Chapesses
I’m after a bit of advice re wall prep in my bathroom. I’m tiling walls from floor to ceiling with 60x30cm porcelain. Once I’d removed the old tiles i had planned to dot n dab plasterboard then tile onto that, expecting the walls (plastered skimmed blockwork) to be in a bad way.
Since removing the tiles I’ve found one of the walls is a bit rough and down to the blocks in places, especially round the window but it’s only a small total area across the wall. The other wall doesn’t look too bad – some of the skim has come away and I’ve scrapped off the old adhesive and any loose stuff.
So here’s the thing; can I patch the rough wall (with something like tubbed plaster) then tile, and can I tile straight onto the other wall?
Thoughts appreciated, cheers :)

p.s. I’ve got P9 adhesive as I told the guys in the shop I’d intended to tile onto plasterboard.

A

akinsontiles

If you are good at doing the dot and dab it will give you the best surface to tile onto. Just check it for plumb and level as its setting.

For the tanking sytem I would recommend that you use jointing compound and tape to fill the joints in the plasterboard first. Leave to set and then use the WP1 and corner tape for the wet areas.

P9 is a really good adhesive (my favourite) but with the large format tiles make sure you serate the wall and butter the back of the tile to ensure sufficient soverage to hold them in place for life.

Reply to Wall prep advice needed.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Wall prep advice needed....
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.