Discuss Wall prep for tiling? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mmdowson

As part of my bathroom conversion to a shower/wet room I am looking to tile all the walls.
The walls around the shower area I have reboarded with tile backeboard and will be taping all the joints prior to tiling. Will I need to apply a waterproof membrane to these walls awell?

Also how should I prepare the following wall surfaces for tiling?
1. painted/plastered block walls.
2. Painted/scimmed platerboard walls.

Somerset
Hardibacker is strongly water resistant, but not waterproof. If you have already boarded, then you should coat the walls around the shower with a suitable waterproof compound - there are many good ones out there from manufacturers like BAL, Mapei, and Ardex. Also Homelux do a matting waterproofer. I have tried all these and had no problems with any - prefer Ardex if in a hurry.

Reply to Wall prep for tiling? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Wall prep for tiling?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.