Discuss Wall preparation advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

scoobysnax

Hi, I am about to start tiling our bathroom and would like some advice on wall preparation. When I removed the old wall tiles, I inevitably damaged the 'drywall' surface to which they were attached. I have now ripped out the remaining 'drywall', and replaced it with new 'Gyproc 9.5mm Handi-board'. Can someone tell me if I can tile straight onto this surface as it is, or do I need to have it skimmed with plaster first?

Also, on the solid brick walls where there was no drywall (just a skim of plaster), some of the original plaster has come away with the tiles. The remaining sound plaster still has the tile adhesive on it.

My questions are:
Can I (a) fill in the areas of missing plaster with polyfiller and then apply adhesive & tiles onto that, and (b) apply the new tile adhesive straight over the top of the old adhesive prior to tiling. The area does appear to be sound, and I thought the existing rough surface created by the old adhesive would create a surface that would give good adhesion for the new tile adhesive. I have a feeling I might get laughed at on this, but just want to know if this is ok to do. If not, could you tell me what I will need to do to get a suitable surface for the new tiles.

Many thanks,
Scoobysnax

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wall preparation advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys i’m going to be tiling over skimmed plaster walls in a kitchen for first time. (first...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Wall preparation advice please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.