UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss warning - bad virus doing the rounds and how to remove it in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stan001

I should warn you about a virus that’s going the rounds right now. This one is a trojen and embeds itself deeply in your system in about 25 places then replicates even more. You’ll know when you’ve got it because you’ll get a virus programme (which is a fake) called something like PCTools (there’s a few bits of software out there actually called PCTool so i feel sorry for them cos this bad one looks genuine)), inform you that your PC is infected about 200 times and the only way you can disinfect your PC is with their software. You just need to click and it will then download even more virus into your PC. Another symptom is when you try and access sites like AVG, McAfee etc you’ll get a message saying ‘oops – broken link’.
This trojen is circulating around Facebook and emails. My sister, a bank manager, got it from another bank manager friend on Facebook (in case you wondered what bank managers do in their spare time).
I got hit with this about 6 months ago so I knew exactly what to do.
The virus can easily get its way past AVG (it did mine) as its malware and not exactly a virus. It does I think get caught by MS Security Essentials. But the one programme on the market that absolutely is the best and will kill this one is Malwarebytes Antimalware, its free!
I read an article months back on this and apparently at that time there was only two programmes that could kill this trojen and the only free one is Malwarebytes Antimalware (the only difference between their free programme and their paid for is that the free one you physically have to click scan whilst the paid for one can be scheduled.
The attack on my sister and her friends was only weeks ago. It took me ages to clean it – a quick instruction is as follows:-
1.Download Malwarebytes Antimalware from http://www.malwarebytes.org
2.After install, click Update to download the latest signatures
3.Click Scan (do the full scan option) and let the thing do its business.
How I had to do it on my sisters PC is to load Antimalware onto a USB stick from my home PC as the trojen won’t let the infected PC download it from the internet (you get the ooops and broken link popup). I installed it from my USB stick into her PC, then it ran ok from there (the trojen cripples internet explorer but lets the Antimalware prog update directly off the www no problem). The full scan took about an hour and there was over 200 infections. When you let the bad PC scan do not allow it to contact the www, do it offline, the trojen keeps calling back and putting annoying popups and staying resident in memory. So do all this disconnected from the www.
My advice is download the Malwarebytes program now whilst you still have access to the www. Its far less painful if you do get it! Whatever virus software you are running now may not catch malware, so it’s worth doing, from memory I think it’s only a 9 meg download so fast to do.
Hope this helps – in case you are wondering I am not associated with Malwarbytes or anything like that – I just can’t stand the scumbags who write this crappy virus stuff and would hate you to get upset like my sis did with her new PC she thought she’d have to scrap.
Hope that helps, Stan
(been meaning to post this for a week but been mega busy – am posting to the 2 forums I visit – please pass this info on if it helps)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stan001

Richard - i have no idea mate, Im not on Facebook nor do i open dodgy attachments - and yet i got it! Stan

... as we are on geeky subjects right now - when was the last time you guys did a backup? ya - though so! ... fyi - bargains of the moment can be found at Tesco of all places! they are selling those little external hard drives dead cheap - the size has gone up and the price has crashed in the last year - got to be the cheapest fastest and easiest way to backup your data once a month:thumbsup:.

D

Deleted member 1779

I've run it and it did find an infection although to be honest it found it in the .tmp file so its probably an email that I didnt open.

Anyway the system is clean as a whistle so lets hope that it stays that way. My main PC has one year left to go on a lease I took out via PC World

I was basically mugged by PC-World sales guy. Even my missus laughed at me.
Arrived at the shop with £700 cash for a great deal.

Salesman said "As a business owner you should put your money back in the bank to look after CASHFLOW" He told me that the monthly fee of £35 was cheaper because it was deductible for tax. Well of course the deal when you add 36 x £5 is actually £1260 total outlay. Didnt stop there. I found out later I have to pay an extra £15 a month COMPULSORY insurance. So the total outlay is now £1800 over three years for a £700 PC.

I was going to take it back and complain but I keep this as my one true encounter with leases, being ripped off and taken for a mug. Yes they got me and every day I look at the computer as a reminder. Of course the final nail in the coffin as that at the end of this year and £1800 lighter I dont own the equipment! So it has to go back...

So I want to keep **their** hard drive as clean and tidy as possible with no trojans malware or viruses.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I've run it and it did find an infection although to be honest it found it in the .tmp file so its probably an email that I didnt open.

Anyway the system is clean as a whistle so lets hope that it stays that way. My main PC has one year left to go on a lease I took out via PC World

I was basically mugged by PC-World sales guy. Even my missus laughed at me.
Arrived at the shop with £700 cash for a great deal.

Salesman said "As a business owner you should put your money back in the bank to look after CASHFLOW" He told me that the monthly fee of £35 was cheaper because it was deductible for tax. Well of course the deal when you add 36 x £5 is actually £1260 total outlay. Didnt stop there. I found out later I have to pay an extra £15 a month COMPULSORY insurance. So the total outlay is now £1800 over three years for a £700 PC.

I was going to take it back and complain but I keep this as my one true encounter with leases, being ripped off and taken for a mug. Yes they got me and every day I look at the computer as a reminder. Of course the final nail in the coffin as that at the end of this year and £1800 lighter I dont own the equipment! So it has to go back...

So I want to keep **their** hard drive as clean and tidy as possible with no trojans malware or viruses.

Let that be a lesson to you all! PC World are rob dogs through and through. I'd shop with a local PC shop that you know has been around for a couple of years and tell him what you want and he'll be happy (really happy, they're usually nerds) to build it for you at no extra cost.

I've not bought a PC or laptop for many years and although I can have problems with them, usually a £30 bill fixes them for another 12 months. Simples.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to warning - bad virus doing the rounds and how to remove it in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, I really need some pro advice as I have just had a bathroom fitted and the tiling...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 53945
D
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
Add your news for free; Tiling News, Plumbing News, Electrical News What's Involved in...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views
First of all a big shout out to everyone that contributes to these forums in terms of help and...
Replies
Views
Perry
P

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.