UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

• Thread starter Yorkshire Tiling Services
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 419
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss Warning in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Hi
there was a recent post, one of fourteen for this particular person. His latest read as ..
"
Tiler needed in leeds - ls17 -urgently
Hi I require i tiler for a bathroom at my home.....quality is of most importance and if standard is good there is a further 3 bathrooms and a kitchen..."

I sent him my details and arranged to go start job. Did not get chance to look at job prior but as I assumed he wanted quality and from his postal code I assumed that the prep would be spot on. How wrong could I be !!! He explained that he had sacked his previous tiler who had compled half of one bathroom,not a bad job. However the customer said that he had sacked the tiler because of one grout line that was different than all the rest...
I spotted it.. the tiler had used 2mm to 3mm spacing on floor as tiules were a little sizey,but tihis one grout line was 3mm to 4mm.... not the end of the world considering and would have hardly showed when grouted.
Anyways we turned up to find the walls, we were due to tile were bonding plaster that had apparently been put on by a blind plasterer who had lost his spirit level and straight edge and had put on the bonding with a spoon whilst blidfolded... shocking. Plasterer ( and I use this term very loosely ), was there. Customer explained that it was second time the walls had been re-done. Plasterer blamed us saying he had never seen tilers use spirit level or strait edge before, and that we were obviously rubbish as we could not spot and dab tiles on wall to make them look right !!!
I explained about turd polishing, and that sadly we were not able to make his look good.
Customer asked us if he we could just tile it and do our best, this is after previously beating us down in price to do job on promised good walls.
We advised that the walls needed to be spot and dabbed plasterboard before tiling ( not wet areas ), the window reveal was also a mile out.
We had turned up, so agreed to stay and complete what we could after customer beating us down in price again because less meterage.We spent the next few hours having to put up with him coming in every half hour running his hands over the grout lines, picking fault with everything and generally being a pain in the !! He even said that previous tiler was too expenive @ a metre LOL.
Then he complained about the finish on the wall grout which he supplied, AL Murad Special.. grey 2 to 20mm... obviously more gritty that fine joit wall grout. Told him as good as it gets !
I am very calm, but my pal was ready to chin him. We were un-sure if we were going to get paid at end of job as he seemed as if he was just looking for an excuse not to pay... we realised one tile was slightly.. ever so slightly lippy and advised customer that we would replace on next visit.
I stood in bathroom ready with my hammer....... expecting not to get paid ( we all know what hammer was for )
LUCKILY FOR HIM HE PAID UP.

I do not believe that tiler was sacked for one minute.. think he walked.
Moral of story read between the lines when people are posting here asking too many nit picky questions then asking for a tiler. If you do go quote job them quote for top quality job and price, allow yourself enough time !! Put it in writing and get them to sign a copy. Check tiles at start of job for size and warpage, point out to customer any issues prior to fixing.
And take a big hammer just in case.
Be warned !
e

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I'm off to Maida Vale in the morning. Got a call last week from a woman who wanted a tiler to do 4sqm of floor in a bathroom in a flat. I gave her a price on the phone (as driving to London to quote for a job that will only/hopefully last one day is not cost effective). I would provide adhesive/grout. Anyway, I have been texting her all week to find out what colour grout is going on these ceramic floor tiles. Texts coming back to me saying I will let you know. Finally today she rings. She will provide the jasmine grout (that means I have to use white addy!!). Also, I double checked the ceramic tiles.........they have now turned to porcelain. Then I checked the meterage of the floor only to find out that it is 4 sqm, but it now includes a bath panel !!! The lady's husband is boarding out the floor with Hardiebacker. I'm getting that awful feeling !!!!!!!

S

steve187

I think sometimes the experience of a tiler shows by knowing when to walk away from a job, its better to lose the traveling time and walk away, than it is to start a job, knowing at the back of one's mind that you shouldn't be starting it, and then regretting you didn't listen to the nagging doubts.

On the subject of 'tiler wanted and must be cheap' ads, i just laugh and think are you taking the micky, or words to that effect.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Arrive at 07:45. Four flights of stairs. Nowhere to set up. Odd shaped bathroom. Hardiebacker laid but not glued. First and only break at 14:00 (break over at 14:10). Lots of splinters from the porcelain tiles. Not a bad job actually. Moved the car at 17:30 (due to parking regulations). Walk back from new parking spot (5 minutes). Finally left at 19:15 and got stuck in heavy traffic. Home at 20:20. I lost count of all the times I hand to walk up and down the stairs. I did educate the builder about the Hardie, so hopefully next time he will get it right. This time I was lucky I guess. Next time I will have to put my rates up for London & for flats.
P.S. No need for a hammer Yorkshire...................the client was 92 years of age!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Warning in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.