UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Was ASBESTOS ever used in tile manufacture? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Householder

I chanced upon some American websites that advise caution when removing old wall/floor tiles, as they may have ASBESTOS content, if made prior to 1970. Is this the case in the UK? Also, was ASBESTOS ever added to grout, responses appreciated.

Ceramics are non-metallic, clay based products that are intended to endure for decades. Products like tiles were made out of this clay, and when it was mixed with other materials such as asbestos, they would be very tough and built to last. Aside from their inherent strength, these tiles were also able to tolerate intense heat and could even help repel fire. These qualities made the ceramic tiles exceptional for use on roofs, floors and walls of homes, offices and other structures.

The asbestos that was included in Ceramic Tiles was an important component until the 1970's. It would most likely still be in use today, except for momentous hitch - mesothelioma research discovered that it is extremely toxic and one of the primary causes of mesothelioma. Although it was not known for years, asbestos exposure is linked to Mesothelioma (including peritoneal mesothelioma and pericardial mesothelioma), a form of cancer with a typically poor prognosis and corresponding low survival rate. This is because while there is an approved vaccine that can aid in mesothelioma prevention, there is no known mesothelioma cure.

A fully formed ceramic tile is safe to be around, but if it were to be sanded, cracked or otherwise damaged, microscopic particles of asbestos can escape and float into the air. People will breathe them in without even realizing it, and that is when the damage begins. The effects of this inhalation generally take years to develop, so individuals who are exposed to this toxic material may not even know it until a decade or more has passed.

As word spread about the dangers of asbestos, most manufacturers stopped using it. Terrifyingly, others continued to include the mineral in their products, and did not warn anyone. This sordid policy allowed not only the employees of these companies to become exposed to the toxins, but also the customers who purchased the tiles and other goods. When this was discovered, it served only to add to the already tremendous backlash from people who had been harmed or lost loved ones because of products that were contaminated with the hazardous material. Hundreds of thousands of lawsuits were filed by mesothelioma attorneys against the companies that were responsible.

O

Old Mod

surprised-004.gif

So the crapper was made of crap eh! Haha

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Was ASBESTOS ever used in tile manufacture? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation...
Replies
Views
New here and no knowledge of professional tiling! I had one installer do three new bathrooms. He...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.