Discuss Was It The Grout Or The Tiles?? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Surrey
We have just finished a 23m floor done in 300x300 grey rocktop porcelain from Johnsons Kerastar 517 Granite Rocktop 297x297x8.3mm and we had a terrible time with the grouting with it being a right bugger to clean off but we did manage to clean them up eventually with a lot of hard work.

The grout (supplied by main contractor) was Dunlop flexible floor and wall tile grout in charcoal, it's a CG2 grout and was like wet sand mixed with molasses that seemed to weld itself to the tile as soon as it was applied - we had used the same in white for the walls on ceramics and that seemed ok.

Should the tiles have been sealed or something first or was it most likely the sticky grout that caused the problem?

O

Old Mod

It says they don't need sealing, so prob just a crap tile and crap grout

The last time I had an issue with grout staining a matt porcelain that literature said didn't need sealing, I contacted the manufacturer to see if I was at fault, the tech dept said, although they SHOULDN'T need sealing, it would help with grouting if u DID!
So, I'm cautious of any tile that says,
it doesn't need sealing as it comes pre sealed!

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
An impregnator for porcelain may stop the blead or stain contamination to the face, but if the tile has a surface finish and is being stubborn , once sealed this can still be problematic as it lines the cappillaries it does not fill it, you could test on an unlaid tile for grout release or perhaps test a pre grout sealer ( this is a topical sealer) , think this will remove as you grout, BAL still do one of these- perhaps guys have used this type on here and could comment.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I used the bal temporary sealer on a tile I just new was going to be a pain to grout by just looking at it.
And I must say worked a treat....would Deffo recommend it.
This may also highlight a problem I deal with on a weekly basis. ....client buys there own adhesive and grout and half the time i have no idea how it reacts.....which is why I will only use adhhesive and grout I supply and have been using for years and know how it works...

S

StevieBoy

I used the bal temporary sealer on a tile I just new was going to be a pain to grout by just looking at it.
And I must say worked a treat....

A mate of mine mentioned that sealer to me, would that have worked do you think on some mosaics that have a pitted face made up of different strips of tile and different thicknesses?
They were a mare and a half to grout, so was just wondering for future ref.
Sorry for the thread hijack in advance.

T

Tile Shop

LTP all the way!!! Give 'em a coat of Mattstone first and that will do the trick. Any excess that does't sink in "should" be taken off during the grouting process... but LTP Powerstipper on hand if it doesn't. As for the grout stains, have you tried any grout stain remover products? The LTP Grout Stain Remover works a treat with an LTP Black Emulsifying pad....

There we go.... earned my commission for the day ;)

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
even if you seal with a suitable impregnator you line the capillary it does not fill , so grout can get lodged in the micro pore. The sealer we a discussing is a topical finish that fills these pores only while you grout and removes easily, leaving the tile un contaminated.

Grout removed with a cement/ remover use brushes as this will get into these micro pores as the product breaks the cementisiouse product down , pads will generally skip across the face tile brushes will aid this removal. Also would never use a black pad as have seen many cases of tiles ( porc and ceramics also)being affect by this harsh pad, let the chemical do the work release with a white.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Was It The Grout Or The Tiles?? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have had both polished and matt textured wood effect tiles laid in my house and am having...
Replies
Views
We've got as far as stripping out the bathroom in our new (to us) bungalow dug up floor, laid...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
We've got as far as stripping out the bathroom in our new (to us) bungalow dug up floor, laid...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I’ve recently had my bathroom re-done which includes floor to ceiling white tiles however...
Replies
Views
Tile Shop
T

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB