Discuss Water leak HELP in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jon r

Hi all, thrown myself in a the deep end and have bought porcerlain tiles for my bathroom, i have all the nesecary cutting tools so not a prob! (he says) I thought to make life slightly easier for myself i would remove the toilet so as not to have any awqward cuts, still going good. Waited couple of hours then put toilet back together then flushed, thats where the problem arose, water started leaking out of the bottom of the cistern down the pipe, i now cannot flush without water leakage. What can i do to stop this please?

B

Bubblecraft

I take it you have a raised level cistern with an L shape pipe leading into the top/back of the pan?

If the water is running down the flush pipe, your flush pipe is not set correctly into the connector flange (where your pipe meets your cistern). Common cause of this is either your pan is to far back or forward. Double check that your flush pipe is straight. Sometimes the flush pipe can end up being a little too long if you've raised the floor but the cistern is the same height. If it is this, just cut off the top of your flush pipe to the same height you have raised the floor to. I'd check your first port of call with it either being too far forward or back.

If it is actually leaking where your flush pipe meets your pan, your flush cone is not set correctly into the pan intake.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I'm lost now, is it a high level or close coupled cistern?

I've just gone back and read his first and second post and from what he's saying i think hi/low level with flush pipe. Not closed coupled.

Been working a lot of hours last few weeks (also the reason i've not been very active on here). Presumed it was C/C.

Jon r - The guys are right. Your flush pipe is now too long. If the floor levels come up it will seat at an angle now. Needs cutting down.

J

jon r

Its a low level cistern, i dont know what a closed couple is ,( only being a DIYer ) the L bend pipe is about 15 inchs long and the leak is from the bottom of the cistern. Just been and cut pipe down by the heighy of the tile but it still leaks. I may do what somebody said and seal round the flange (think thats what its called) otherwise may have to go buy another flushpipe and start again

B

Bubblecraft

Its a low level cistern, i dont know what a closed couple is ,( only being a DIYer ) the L bend pipe is about 15 inchs long and the leak is from the bottom of the cistern. Just been and cut pipe down by the heighy of the tile but it still leaks. I may do what somebody said and seal round the flange (think thats what its called) otherwise may have to go buy another flushpipe and start again

Here's a diagram to show you types
a6usa3yv.jpg

Is your flush pipe inserted into the flange on the cistern ok? If it is, you can seal around this with silicone (outside only). If you have cut it too short, you can either drop the height of your cistern or buy a new flush pipe. They are pennies anyway.

B

Bubblecraft

If the flush pipe is seated in the flange, put a seal around the outside with silicone. Make sure it is dry before applying. Leave it over night & you should be fine. If you are still having problems with it tomorrow, then go & get a new flush pipe. Take your old flange, pipe & cone with you for a perfect match. You'll get your pipe & cone ok but there are so many different types of flange. Don't go to a DIY store. Goto Plumbcentre, Graham's etc. Better chance of getting it & at a fraction of the price

J

jon r

Hi all, well managed to sort the leaking cistern prob, it turned out there was the tiniest of splits in the rubber seal that sits inside the screw fitting, but the new one i got had an o ring aswell, old one didnt, but never leaked before, but all sorted now. Finished bathroom floor, didnt realise i would be cutting most of my tiles with my plasplug!! Bought a sigma manual cutter thinking that it would cut anything, including porcerlin! Ending up snaping first 3, so gave up (is there a knack?) Ended up having to go got a new diamond blade half way though job aswell as blade blunt very quick, is this normal? (it came with plasplug) Anyway thanks to all again for advice

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Water leak HELP in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all! Late last year I decided I wanted a new bathroom installed. I spent a few weeks...
Replies
Views
trayjord
T
H
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are renovating our house and a year ago...
Replies
Views
mache
M

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB