Discuss Water UFH - Is this possible? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jimmycooker

Hi,

I have poured my concrete floor (100mm) on top of 100mm of kingspan insulation.

I have just under 40mm to play with to fit underfloor heating and tiles to bring it up to finished floor level.

I was planning on fitting the insulated 25mm www.floorheater.co.uk panels with tiling on top.

What i want to know is would it be possible to just lay 20 - 25mm barrier piping on top of the concrete slap and pour a screed over the piping and then tile on top?

My main reason for doing this is the cost of the floor panels, i'm not too worried about the heat up time or costs, the intial outlay is my main concern.

Another idea i had was to just buy plain EPS panels, cut my own channels into them and tile on top of them. I think the floorheater are jablite...anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
James.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Yes this is absolutely possible but probably not using 20mm pipes.

The cheapest I guess would be to use a calcium sulphate based screed. Lay a DPM grade polythene membrane onto the concrete then attach 10mm underfloor heating pipes to the polythene using self adhesive clip rails or even decent quality duct tape. Then pour 40mm nominal depth of anhydrite screed onto the lot.

You could also investigate the Max4 Therm underfloor heating system which allows an even thinner screed (20mm) which would then allow you to put a 20mm layer of insulation down on top of the concrete in order to help improve the efficiency of the system. It would also need a Flowing screed.

Schluter do a system called Bekotech Therm which I think might be able to go to this sort of depth as well. This need minimum 8mm cover to the pipes which would need to be a C25 - F4 flowing screed.

There are probably other systems as well.

S

Spud

Yes this is absolutely possible but probably not using 20mm pipes.

The cheapest I guess would be to use a calcium sulphate based screed. Lay a DPM grade polythene membrane onto the concrete then attach 10mm underfloor heating pipes to the polythene using self adhesive clip rails or even decent quality duct tape. Then pour 40mm nominal depth of anhydrite screed onto the lot.

You could also investigate the Max4 Therm underfloor heating system which allows an even thinner screed (20mm) which would then allow you to put a 20mm layer of insulation down on top of the concrete in order to help improve the efficiency of the system. It would also need a Flowing screed.

Schluter do a system called Bekotech Therm which I think might be able to go to this sort of depth as well. This need minimum 8mm cover to the pipes which would need to be a C25 - F4 flowing screed.

There are probably other systems as well.
he has less than 40mm all in, including the tile and adhesive ,the panels in the link allow the use of an s2 adhesive straight over the ufh so i would advise to bite the bullet and pay out for these if they are guarateed

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Sorry - I misread the post. The Max4 Therm system would still be a realistic option and just as guaranteed. So looks like 2 options.

I prefer the idea of putting an insulation board down on top of the concrete thoguh as this will prevent the concrete from acting like a thermal sink and allow greaer efficiency of the heating system.

Reply to Water UFH - Is this possible? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
We had a water underfloor heating installed and tiled over. 3 months later we noticed many tiles...
Replies
Views
Amethsyt
A

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Water UFH - Is this possible?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.