Discuss water underfloor heating with no screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all

Ive been to look at a job, its a nice big one 130+ mtrs but there is insulation boards on top of plywood. The insulation boards hold 10mm or so pipework which is the heating system, the pipes are just below the surface. The builder has said i can tile straight on top of this.
Is this correct as ive always thought there should be a sand and cement screed on top which should be min of 50mm. I called a plumber who fits the water underfloor heating systems but he hasnt come across this before.

the tiles are 600x600 porcelain,not polished and as the floor is flat so i can get a few day down quickly.
just the underfloor heating is stopping me putting the estimate in until im happy i know enough about it.
the builder said its fine, any thoughts from the pro's????

Thank you in advance
MS Tiles :mad2:

hi

its a proper underfloor heating system and the insulation boards are made for the pipes to run in. the problem is i dont have the name of it.

has anybody actual tiled onto it before.
The boards are light grey and it has black ends for the pipes to return back and down the next run. there are 4 runs of pipe per board. they have screwed the boards to the ply and it looks like silicone or some form of glue between each board.
sorry for it being a bit vague.

hi all

Polypipe Building Products | Overlay - Choice | Polypipe - Water Management, Underground Drainage, Flexible Plumbing Systems, Underfloor Heating

shows 2 different systems but one shows tiles on directly on top.
the lite system needs ply on top for tiles i'll need to find out what is down if this is the actual system used.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi
i always use weber spf rapid when i need flexible adhesive and ardex fl grouts. hopefully the builder can supply these,i know the tile shop he uses have ardex grouts.
i'll call weber tomorrow and ask them.
the floor was solid from what i could tell although i will pop back and check it again when i get 5 mins.

Thank you everybody for the info and advice, very helpful and i appreciate it

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
That looks like it. thats great thank you very much.
i'll read it all later.
Have you tiled onto it yourself?? the builder is supplying adhesive and grout. i'll state flexible products in estimate.

No not I - I hate the system cos I sell screeds. I don't hate it because it is a poor system....it is probably very good....I just hate it on principal :)

Reply to water underfloor heating with no screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
We had a water underfloor heating installed and tiled over. 3 months later we noticed many tiles...
Replies
Views
Amethsyt
A
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

welwyn garden city

Thread Information

Title
water underfloor heating with no screed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.