UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Waterproofing - Is it required all the time? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

Re: waterproofing ????????????

IMO, every situation has to be assessed.
I recently tiled the en-suite and bathroom for a retired couple. He prefers to shower, she prefers to bathe. I discussed tanking but I could not really justify it to them.

Conversely, I tiled a shower room for a family of five, who all prefer to shower so I insisted on tanking or I wouldn't tile it.

And a third scenario, I will be tiling a wetroom for a couple next week but the builder (for some bizarre reason) has formed the shower walls with ply. I, again, insisted that it had to be tanked prior to tiling.

I think tanking has it's place. In situations where it is obviously required, it is easy to justify the on-costs. It's the 50/50 situations which become harder to justify.

D

DHTiling

IMO, every situation has to be assessed.
I recently tiled the en-suite and bathroom for a retired couple. He prefers to shower, she prefers to bathe. I discussed tanking but I could not really justify it to them.

Conversely, I tiled a shower room for a family of five, who all prefer to shower so I insisted on tanking or I wouldn't tile it.

And a third scenario, I will be tiling a wetroom for a couple next week but the builder (for some bizarre reason) has formed the shower walls with ply. I, again, insisted that it had to be tanked prior to tiling.

I think tanking has it's place. In situations where it is obviously required, it is easy to justify the on-costs. It's the 50/50 situations which become harder to justify.

BUT.. IYO should it be made law..?

M

mikethetile

sorry Jay

it means it should just happen as a matter of course , there should be no debate about it or selling it to the client, every area that is intermittant wet should be tanked to protect the substrate against water ingress

as Dave rightly says it should be a part of bs and be the minimum standard for tiling and anyone not waterproofing an installation should be liable to prosecution for endangering the householders property. it sounds draconian but if you entered someones home and damaged it you would be liable to be prosecuted fpr criminal damage

D

Daz

There are loads of individuals that are having boilers, ovens etc installed by non Gas Safe engineers (I am in the process of purchasing a buy-to-let flat and the survey has highlighted that the new boiler is unsafe for use due to incorrect installation). They accept the "risk" for a significant discount.

If tanking was law, and administered as per Gas Safe industry, I think the general public would look to "other" alternatives to save a few quid.

Gas or carbon monoxide poisoning tends to be a bigger influencer than an insurance claim due to water ingress in a shower?

Sorry to be a negative influence (I would like to see this as a lawful requirement) but too many (and not just the pikeys) will try to cut costs in areas that they don't see death as a possible consequence.

M

mikethetile

anyone who is not gas safe who even disturbs a live gas line or service is liable to prosecution and if lives or lost or endangered the sentance is custodial

when I was jobbing I would get two or three calls a year from people wanting me to reconnect blackballed gas appliances, I started refusing then after talking to corgi reg plumber I used to look at the condemnation sheet, often it was a simple matter of increasing the ventilation to the boiler area and the gas board would reconnect for a small fee

J

jay

How does that work in a shower re-tile situation? Where the domestic customer has the option of selecting a "private" tiler (or DIY) to improve their shower area?

If it's a building requiring occupancy cert they must have a waterproofing form sighned by tiled
It sort of wipes the hands of the local council
So if something goes wrong it goes back to tiler
A builder can sighn off for you but he wears it

M

mikethetile

OK, as in all trades there are cowboys who operate with no certs..

BUT would you as a tiler be ok to be assessed to be certified to install shower tiling jobs etc, and this is not to daz but all fixers..

Should the UK tiling market be certified..?

simple answer...................yes

its not just tiling, all trades should be certified

D

Daz

If it's a building requiring occupancy cert they must have a waterproofing form sighned by tiled
It sort of wipes the hands of the local council
So if something goes wrong it goes back to tiler
A builder can sighn off for you but he wears it

I hear what you are saying Jay, but, what about the situation when the occupant has been in the house for many years and wants a shower refresh? They are not moving home, just improving part of it, does it still need the waterproofing to be signed off?

J

jay

I hear what you are saying Jay, but, what about the situation when the occupant has been in the house for many years and wants a shower refresh? They are not moving home, just improving part of it, does it still need the waterproofing to be signed off?

sorry captain mis understood

if its a reno requiring no council approval yes it can be skipped but most of the tilers down here waterproof and the ones that dont make work for us (full rip out and re do ) and there name is mud very quickly

Reply to Waterproofing - Is it required all the time? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I'm tiling a 20X20 room, and it will require a lot of cuts around the edges. My question: Would...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.