UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Waterproofing - Is it required all the time? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Ceramica Tiling

Re: waterproofing ????????????

I always sugest tanking to our customers ,give them the pros of having it and cons of not. Guess what 80% of the time they would rather not pay the extra for tanking and take the risk. Saying that using acrlyic primer and ardex never had a comeback.

One builder used to fibreglass the ply and varnish ply on the floor too! never had a leak on that

S

Scott

I think there are far more things that should be inforced before waterproofing, but thats just my take on it. I have done plenty without it that are still fine and dandy.

The problem with any enforcement is the punishment isnt harsh enough, I know a plumber who fitted a heating system illegally, got caught and fined £2000, thats probably what he earned doing the job in the first place. He went straight out the next day and fitted another one that same as he had been doing daily for years

D

DHTiling

I always sugest tanking to our customers ,give them the pros of having it and cons of not. Guess what 80% of the time they would rather not pay the extra for tanking and take the risk. Saying that using acrlyic primer and ardex never had a comeback.

One builder used to fibreglass the ply and varnish ply on the floor too! never had a leak on that

Tell you what, say next time do you know it is regs now to have tanking,, see the reaction..:)

D

DHTiling

I think there are far more things that should be inforced before waterproofing, but thats just my take on it. I have done plenty without it that are still fine and dandy.

The problem with any enforcement is the punishment isnt harsh enough, I know a plumber who fitted a heating system illegally, got caught and fined £2000, thats probably what he earned doing the job in the first place. He went straight out the next day and fitted another one that same as he had been doing daily for years

Scot so have I and many others.. but.. we should now move with the times and offer a 100% water tight installation don't you agree mate or any other fixer agree.. lets get this totally legalised.. lets push to be certified like many other countries are

H

hillhead

I tiled a full house for a big tile company last month, tiles were all delivered with expensive marble vanity units,mirror surrounds and basins etc !
I was on the phone... where is the 3 tanking kits,7 tubes of silicon and sealer !!!! never mind trims too.
Not a tube of silicon left in shop,only one bal tanking kit etc. I had to source the rest.
Not acceptable and it should be made law and up to the tile shops to supply if they're supplying tiles etc.

S

Scott

My local tile shop doesnt sell tanking, but then thats no suprise they advised my customer to PVA the walls too. I have told them but they dont listen!!!

I use mapegum as a matter of course now, its cheap and easy to use. I charge for it at cost so people have it, if they say no ill do it anyway.

I have to add that im surprised at the amount of people who are selling kits now, even bathstore are selling them with their showers.

S

Scott

im suprised a tile shop doesnt stock waterproofing material:yikes:

You wouldnt believe this place jay! There pics are in the hall of shame under my name

NOW does that tell you summit :)

good news,,

Good except its a PCI kit which their tech dept couldnt tell me would carry the warranty if i used another manufacturers adhesive

C

Ceramica Tiling

I used to do a site in braintree subing from another tiler. Plasterboard walls, readymixed adhesive, small 600 quad showers cheap thin ceramics. I said about tanking "cant afford it" at least aquapanel and cement adhesive" thats a bit of overkill". ...He had comebacks on at least 60% of the showers . I feel sorry for buyers of new homes ,dodgy showers microbore heating systems small gardens no parking

G

Gazzer

if it was in the BS5385 and a tiler did not install a tanking system then the tiler will be accountable.
as it is there is no requirement so a customer has the choice to refuse it. IMO this is the problem take away the choice and just say it has got to be installed it is British standards.

Unfortunately the next quote they get is lower because tanking hasnt been allowed for, when asked the other tiler will lay the poison down by saying things like " he is trying to sell you something that isnt needed" "He is ripping you off"....Seen it happen many times. have a folder with photos of water damaged walls to show the client. Even this doesnt work sometimes as they say " we are only doing the bathroom to sell the house" etc etc....I have heard all the excuses.
I go with making it BS5385 and getting household insurance behind it. I am suprised they dont insist on it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jay

its interesting much the same down here when it first hit the fan but as time goes you learn to change your ways and you learn to work with it a norm shower doesnt add that much to the cost but you will still get the odd tight ......wad who knows better and depending on your work situation you lower your standards or you walk
at first i was against it all but you can teach an old dog new tricks and there are advantages with it once you learn to do it right you will see the benifits and at the end of the job you know ther is little or no chance of water leaving the area (sleep sound) at the mo they dont enforce the licence side of waterproofing down in Tas but you do have to sighn off on new builds unless builder or home owner wish to sighn off for you seem to be a good rule at the mo

on average i see about 12 to 15 failed bathrooms a year due to no waterproofing or poor attempts at it (strait on to chipboard ) but you can only recomend it to customers if they want to save money on prep best to walk cause if it fails then guess who they will blame and word of mouth is still strong in areas

T

The D

Unfortunately the next quote they get is lower because tanking hasnt been allowed for, when asked the other tiler will lay the poson down by saying things like " he is trying to sell you something that isnt needed" "He is ripping you off"....Seen it happen many times. have a folder with photos of water damaged walls to show the client. Even this doesnt work sometimes as they say " we are only doing the bathroom to sell the house" etc etc....I have heard all the excuses.
I go with making it BS5385 and getting household insurnce behind it. I am suprised they dont insist on it myself.

i agree with you m8 but if it was in the BS5385 then when the installation from the cheaper quote fails the customer will have a leg to stand on in court as it is they have non.
not installing a tanking system because of the additional cost that is probably only going to be minimal is just silly. would you consider tiling a room if the customer said can you use blu-tack instead of adhesive as it is cheaper. once people get the importance of having the tanking installed the better.

J

jay

I thought it was enforced in Victoria though. All the AV Jennings homes were waterproofed with a paint on system by another company. Unfortunately it was done that well.

waterproofing is the Aus standard but as far as licence to waterproof it changes state to state

any more views (back on topic)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

i agree with you m8 but if it was in the BS5385 then when the installation from the cheaper quote fails the customer will have a leg to stand on in court as it is they have non.
not installing a tanking system because of the additional cost that is probably only going to be minimal is just silly. would you consider tiling a room if the customer said can you use blu-tack instead of adhesive as it is cheaper. once people get the importance of having the tanking installed the better.

I like to see things from both sides and recently I went back to a house I tiled probably 10 or 12 years ago to retile the bathroom. now I know for a fact that the walls were tiled with ready mixed (probably Biscem) adhesive and no tanking.
When I quoted this time I explained about Tanking and of course got the " Well we had no problems before " routine. When the tiles were removed (and yes they tried to get me to overtile but it would have created other issues in the bathroom) there was no sign of any water ingress and hardly any area of the bathroom wall came off clean. In fact 2 walls that were plasterboard needed completely removing and re boarding.
Saying all that, I am a belt and braces man and like to sleep well at night. So i still keep pushing for tanking systems.
I have thought putting in BOLD words on the quote that tanking system has been allowed for and IMO it is needed.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Park Gate

I like to see things from both sides and recently I went back to a house I tiled probably 10 or 12 years ago to retile the bathroom. now I know for a fact that the walls were tiled with ready mixed (probably Biscem) adhesive and no tanking.
When I quoted this time I explained about Tanking and of course got the " Well we had no problems before " routine. When the tiles were removed (and yes they tried to get me to overtile but it would have created other issues in the bathroom) there was no sign of any water ingress and hardly any area of the bathroom wall came off clean. In fact 2 walls that were plasterboard needed completely removing and re boarding.
Saying all that, I am a belt and braces man and like to sleep well at night. So i still keep pushing for tanking systems.
I have thought putting in BOLD words on the quote that tanking system has been allowed for and IMO it is needed.

Have had the same experiences Sir Ramic. I tank for wet rooms and wet areas generally using Impey but have also used Bal. For showers I dont ever recollect tanking and have never had any call backs.

Reply to Waterproofing - Is it required all the time? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I'm tiling a 20X20 room, and it will require a lot of cuts around the edges. My question: Would...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.