Discuss We are all in the wrong job! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Was working in a house yesterday when the owner was having a loft ladder installed. The ladder man said that the current loft hatch was too small so he would have to make the hole bigger to accommodate the new ladder. The cost was an extra £149 to make the loft opening bigger.

It took the bloke about 35mins to saw out a bigger hole and to line the opening with architrave.

I was absolutely amazed at the speed of this man. A great finish too. It was his fourth job that day!

So basically this man can charge £149 for less than an hours work (inc wood, silicone, nails). That’s 10 times my hourly rate! I’m in the wrong job!

So that got me thinking, what other jobs are out there that you are only in a customers home for about 2 hours, but charge them a days rate?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Soffits and fascias. Done a couple with a mate and will be doing more this year.
We bought a tower at scrap value and can reach most properties now. The Fein and rotozip makes the tricky bits a breeze.
With the extortionate money companies charge you can undercut by as much as a grand
and still make £800 in a day. He's just quit his job to do it full time and I'm going on a
flat roof course with him (we did mine last month).
So if that takes off I will be hanging up my trowels but maybe keep my plumbers hat on.

Last edited:
C

Colour Republic

[FONT=&amp]Wardrobes[/FONT]
There are a few companies that charge crazy prices like Moben/Sharps/Dolphin but keep in mind that often custom built bedroom furniture may have been made to order (i.e sizes of doors) which can be an expensive process. Not least the design of it offsite and producing drawings. There are good rates achievable for installation but the work that goes in to it is not always visible.

[FONT=&amp]Soffits and Facias[/FONT]
Again some companies do charge a lot for S&F. This is because when the double glazing firms could no longer command huge profits from windows and doors they moved in to S&F and applied the huge mark ups to the industry. The materials are dirt cheap so yes it's easy to undercut the Double Glazers but there are plenty of builders offering S&F at normal rates, it just depends where the customer is looking and who they are comparing your price with.

It all comes back to what a customer perceives the value of something to be. Like the loft ladder. They don't see it as Materials+Labour=Cost they see as Convenience=Cost so say the ladder was £150 and installation £150, they are quite happy to pay £300 to gain easy access to the loft, the fact it was made bigger also helps because they now see the loft as a more useable space with being able to store larger items up there. So they now feel the size of their house has increased and all for £300? Bargain!

Last edited by a moderator:
R

russ1980

my father in law fits kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms and makes good money.All the bedroom furniture and kitchen units come ready made from the company he uses.From what i can remember when he prices a job he charges £300 a day for himself and £100 for a labourer(but i know for fact he does'nt pay them that).He also makes on the cost of the tilers and any other trades he gets in.A kitchen from start to finish takes him about a week in total including tiling and the average bedroom about half aday.Even at these prices he manages to undercut the bigger companys my a couple of thousand he's never out of work and most of his work comes from recommends.I think this is were tilers struggle because theres not really many bigger companys to compete against where you can seriously undercut others.Just my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to We are all in the wrong job! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m not a tiler - which is why I have one in working away on my new kitchen floor! However...
Replies
Views
Hello all! I don't usually use forums so bear with me. I've tiled my downstairs toilet, I...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Sean Kelly

Arms
TF
Ruislip

Thread Information

Title
We are all in the wrong job!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.