UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Wedi vs Marmox vs Dukka plus Avondale Limestone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

Noreng

Hi

As previously discussed in this thread I am going ahead with a stone floor to replace my previous oak one that has been scrapped following a flood. (boo hoo - I prefer wood)

OK nothing ideal about this situation I know, but we cannot go through all the disruption again so want to get things as flood resistant as possible. It seems like stone or tile floor is the best bet, and many people who have suffered repeated flooding simply mop up and get on with their lives.

However I will miss the warmth of wood, and would very much like to get some insulation between the solid concrete floor and the tiles, say 20mm, which is also needed to bring it up to the same level as before.

I was already aware of Wedi board, but now understand that there are others e.g. Marmox and Dukkaboard. Are there any real differences between these?

As to tiles/flags we have seen some lovely warm limestone ones at rrstone - they look like sandstone but are not apparently. Has anyone any experience of these?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

20mm wedi will give loads of insulation value to the floor, While your putting that down have you considered under tile heating? Its easy to install and relatively inexpensive and will give you that warm feel you miss, it can be used as the main source of heating especially as your putting down such as thick insulation. As for your limestone, there are so many to pick from and most look very nice when laid properly.

:thumbsup:

N

Noreng

While your putting that down have you considered under tile heating? Its easy to install and relatively inexpensive and will give you that warm feel you miss,
:thumbsup:

No, not really. We already have a woodburner as main source of heat, plus 2 rads in the room. Given our flood history I do not think that electric underfloor heating would be a good idea, and a wet system would take up too much room I think. i.e. 20mm wedi + tiles = perfect height.

T

Terry Cottar

No, not really. We already have a woodburner as main source of heat, plus 2 rads in the room. Given our flood history I do not think that electric underfloor heating would be a good idea, and a wet system would take up too much room I think. i.e. 20mm wedi + tiles = perfect height.

When you say Wedi + Tiles = perfect height! I take it you have allowed for the adhesives?

tel

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wedi vs Marmox vs Dukka plus Avondale Limestone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am building a new bathroom in my own house. The room is on the first floor in a newly...
Replies
Views
C
Hey all, So I'm about to start working on a wetroom project on my first floor (and am not...
Replies
Views
I
Hello, A bit confused with variety of XPS backer boards. Wedi, Kerdi, Jacko, Dukka, Marmox - is...
Replies
Views
loadmaster
L
P
Hi all First post here so please be gentle! I am about to start on a refurb of our ensuite...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.