Wall and Floor Tiling Standards BS 5385 Part 1 and 2 Bristish Standards, ISO Tile Fixing Standard.

Welcome to TilersForums.com, the place to discuss all tiling standards whether British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling, BS5385, or ISO European Standards for Tile Fixing.

Tiling Standards

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards for the UK: British Standards in Tiling.

Discuss weight limit in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike

i know the weight limit for tiling vertical but do you still use these limits when tiling window headers, ie. upside down. the reason i ask is i've just tiled one, onto plasterboard (plaster board well fixed, screwed into wood lintel) and the tiles are about 30 kg with adhesive. they don't look like they'll come off but i think they'd kill someone if they hit them on the napper. the customer's having a seat in the window recess, directly under the tiled header :yikes:

P

Phil22

Hi, if your board is well fixed and your happy with the weight of tile for that substrate then you should be ok, although if it is a bit ify, not sure that the grout would give me any more confidence.
I would use a cement based rapid set adhesive with 100% coverage and support the work well till fully set, but if I was too concerned about the plasterboard and its safety, would use a backer board like hardie 500 as it would hold almost half as much weight again.
You could also, in future, try a quick call to the adhesive companies tech. dept. as they are often very helpful and a wealth of knowledge. Cheers

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to weight limit in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

S
Hi guys I'm going to try to tile my bathroom. On the pictures you will see two old window...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
P
Hi all. Starting a job this week over two rooms, a bathroom and a shower room. Room was all...
Replies
Views
Perfect Tiling
P
Hi All, I am looking for some advice on my tiling project. I have tiled quite a few floors...
Replies
Views
DP Tiling
D
R
Hi all. A friend of mine has just moved house and has asked me into do a spot of tiling...
Replies
Views
Perfect Tiling
P
S
Hi all, I haven't been on here in ages ..apologies for that.....time goes so fast. But I hope...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB