Discuss Well this sucks (heads up) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jay

Tiled a patio about a month back .Got a call Sunday morning tiles have cracked , patio is 2nd story timber and steel construction with 19mm compressed sheet as the lining for the tiles. sheets are staggered and epoxy jointed and screwed in place , tiling /primed with sbr Hydroban waterproofing all joints reinforced taped . laticrete anti fracture layed over the top (comes in a roll 900mm wide by whatever length self adhesive) tiles fixed wit lati gold natural grout and silicone to all internal corners ..patio is water proof with no sigh's of leaks .Have a bo peep at the pics and see what you make of it

View attachment 32421 View attachment 32422 View attachment 32423 View attachment 32424 View attachment 32425 View attachment 32426 View attachment 32427 View attachment 32428 View attachment 32429 View attachment 32430 View attachment 32431

the problem has been found but would be interested in what you believe to be the issue

Thanks

jay

U

user123

I agree with Mike, the wood joists, open to the weather still, expanded, moved and distorted the fixing of the rails above.. also the bolts are pretty close to the edge of the wood, making possible movement worse, if they had been in the middle of the wood the movement may have been a little less. In picture 2 the wood looks damp and cracked around the bolt... and there seems to be little room for expansion of the wood joists built in anyhow.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
That has to be something to do with the rails. And I'd go with the above reply of it being something to do with the holes not being drilled big enough to allow for expansion/retraction.

Doesn't look like deflection. It isn't happening anywhere else but near the rail fixings. So it sounds like the rail company will suffer the replacement and fixing of them?

A

Aston

They appear to be stress cracks to me, so i go along with phils diagnosis that theres been no 'expansion measures' included to the fixings. ie some sort of flexible washer or plate?

The sub floor has expansion and lateral movement catered for but the actual bolt fixings are rigid, tight and no allowance for 'up and down movement', hence the structal stress.. those front stantions that are holding the platform up, tend to move ,up and down throughout the day. heat, wind, ground moisture all play a part.

thats the best i could come up with?

Reply to Well this sucks (heads up) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Q
I have noticed that alot of people on the forum ask questions on tile backer boards and also...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
A
Marmox board info, again theres a web site and tech helpline :thumbsup: hope it helps, ed...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Well this sucks (heads up)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.