Discuss Westfield shopping centre london in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leatherface

Hi as I have not been on Forum for a while I was surprised when I checked and had not seen any posts about working on Westfield Centre at White City London.
Was there pre- Christmas fitting out a few shops.
It was bedlam. There were around 5000 blokes working there at any one time.
We arrived on a Monday morning and did not get our tiles or adhesive till Wed morning. We were not allowed to take tiles or materials to individual shops & had to rely upon unskilled ( non English speaking ) foreign labourers to deliver them in their own time. Much of the tiling was at height ( but since we were not allowed to work from ladders, as according to current regulations ) we had to wait another day for someone with a ticket to move and re-build a scaff platform, then another half day for health and safety to approve it.
Lunch breaks took about an hour and a half to walk to canteen and queue to get served. Every time you went for a pee you got lost.
Hell on earth !!!!!
Was anyone else there ?

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I did a couple of weeks there. I live 20mins away. Nice tube journey to work every morning (I even got a seat!). It was a 20minute walk to the canteen so I ate my sandwiches whilst hiding in a corner at Fire & Stone (a posh pizza restaurant). I worked with Marble (600x600), porcelain & ceramics. It was bedlam there. Hard hats everywhere. I got onsite at 07:20, and did what I could do whilst working around chippies,sparks,plumbers,fitters etc etc. It was 15mins for lunch and out by about 18:00 with a couple of longer days. It was great to see the place grow from a building site to a shopping centre. Most people worked really hard. I had to use those toilets near the canteen once.....those toilet seats never got cold!! However, they were luxury compared to the portable ones Urghh.....I can still smell them in my nostrils. On the last day the restaurant owners treated us to a full cooked breakfast - nice. I enjoyed myself, can't wait for another one to be built!

bansko

TF
Worked on the westfield site for 10 months and yes it was some experience, when in full swing there were over 11,000 construction workers and word has it 80% were foreign labour.We were staying in sheperds bush 10 minutes walk away so had no problems commuting, parking was a nightmare, toilets I dont want to go there, but you guys were right, getting materials on site was something else, we had many drivers look at the queue on the ramp and leave. Westfield even discovered 2 brothels in the underground car parks, they were wondering why there were queues forming. Overall it was a good job n a good earner and as far as I know there,s a bigger one being built near stratford or that area. I left the day before it opened as everyone had to stop work for the opening ceremony, it amazed me that it opened on time as it was a bombsite with less than 2 weeks to go. But it did and it,s impressive.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Westfield shopping centre london in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

J
    • Winner
moved to the london area in 1984 when my wife got a transfer to Guildford with her works. needed...
Replies
Views
Q
    • Winner
    • Informative
So I was recently asked to fit some 3m x 1.5m 6mm thin porcelain in a new tile showroom. Mapei &...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
O
.......so as u've probably already seen, @Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin exhibits at the Sleep Exhibition...
Replies
Views
C
:smile::smile::smile:hi pals, Cassie here again. Thanks for all the great advice you gave us. I...
Replies
Views
R
Could you help young people learn skills for employment in construction? PT TUTOR to teach a...
Replies
Views
Rebecca Bowden
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Westfield shopping centre london
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.