UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Wet Area/Shower-Room Advice Wanted in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Imdad

Hi Folks. Like most others I've arrived here because I'm at a quandry as to what to do with a tiling job.

I had a nice shower cubicle (50" x 30"); a resin tray on a 3" x 2" frame. (With a sliding door on one side).

Unfortunately, through slow seapage of water through the shower tray/tiled wall boundary, I had water make it's way to the lounge downstairs (nothing major, but my wife noticed a stain).

I had a look and the bottom row of tiles (sitting on the tray and sealed with standard bathroom sealant) had sunk down about 3mm from the row above along the wall. The tiles had moved away from the wall and the shower tray had sunk! :oops:

I took the bull by the horns and have removed the shower tray completely (had to cut it out as it was wedged in) to reveal a lot of rotten timber (the wall-side 3" x 2" had become rotten).

I now want to turn the area into a wet area and make a sill to the one side that doesn't have a wall. This is in order to leave the sliding door where it is and stop water getting everywhere.

I have laid (screwed down) 2 plywood sheets each 19mm so giving me a very sturdy and even floor (1.5 inches thick!).

Now for the questions:

If I put some timber to make the sill, will I be able to water-proof and tile the sill?

In order to make the whole area waterproof, do I need the tank room - I've had a look and there is a section on this. I asked at Bee & Pue about this and they looked at me like I'd just escaped out of an asylum. The reason I ask is this - if I put down a layer of waterproof tile adhesive (suitable for timber flooring) won't this do the same thing? And once the whole thing is grouted, doesn't this also waterproof it?

Lastly, I want the water to drain out of a hole in the corner of the room (used to be the exit hole for the original pipe when there was a shower tray there). Is this a good idea? If I cement round the hole using cement and grout, will this do the trick?

There are probably dozens of you out there shaking your heads in disbelief, but if anyone has tried this and succeeded/failed, I'd like to know what you learned. And whether any of this is worth attempting!

Failing all that, should I get some of the membrane being recommended elsewhere on this forum? How easy is it to apply to timber?

Thanks! Any advice greatly appreciated, but especially so if based on personal experience of trying something like this!

Imdad

D

dazzak

Firstly, theres no such thing as waterproof tile adhesive. Water-resistant yes, but you'd never get 100% coverage using adhesive, so you will need to use some form of membrane to give you that 100% waterproof guarantee. Same applies with your grout as well, unless you are using an epoxy resin grout, which is a bugger to work with. When a tile adhesive advertises itself as being waterproof, basically it means it wont break down in water. The problem is not the adhesive, its the wall or floor you are tiling onto that will most likely break down and leak.

Don't use anything B & Q would advise you to use. They have "wetroom" kits that are an extortionate amount of money.

Use something like Homelux Matting for the floor. It's pretty easy to use, and can easily be put down. Just use a cement based flexible floor adhesive to stick it down with (So nothing ready made), and you should also be able to cover the timber sill with it as well (Although you will probably need to use the wall version rather than the floor). Be sure to overlap all the joints (Including where the wall meets the floor) and you'll also need to do the walls of your shower area as well.

Lastly, the hole will be a bit trickier. Is it in the same area as the shower? Will you be able to make a slight incline down to it and around it so that water will drain away rather than standing still? If not, you'll still need some sort of tray and drain. You can get these easily enough, but they can be expensive if you want a pre-made one you can tile onto. I believe Impey UK do a range you could look into.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wet Area/Shower-Room Advice Wanted in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hey. I doing my first walk-in tiled shower. The shower is 4’x8’. Most of the floor is covered...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.