Discuss Wet, dry or grinder..........???? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Skinszo

Hi everyone,

I've been let down by my tiler and I need to get this project finished and as there's not loads I'm about to do the tiling myself.

ive got a 10mm porcelain tile to look forward to.

I wanted to get a cutter that will do me well on this job but also something I can use on more in the future now. (Fed up of being let down)

i dont want want to spend fortunes but I know with anything you do get what you pay for.

I want to get something that deals with porcelain as this seems to be what most my customers have now.

so what's the best options, a wet cutter, will a dry cutter cut it ha or as my previous tiler used a diamond blade on his grinder which never gave great cuts.

thanks

Q

Qwerty

A decent wet cutter will probably be your best bet. I can use all three on a porcelain job easily for different cuts. All depends on your budget and also what sort of cuts you will be performing (plunge cuts for sockets, envelope cuts for a wet room former, visible cuts around window reveals etc).
A decent blade is essential on any diamond wheel cutter & grinder. I suspect your tiler had a poor blade or clumsy cutting or both.

A decent wet cutter will probably be your best bet. I can use all three on a porcelain job easily for different cuts. All depends on your budget and also what sort of cuts you will be performing (plunge cuts for sockets, envelope cuts for a wet room former, visible cuts around window reveals etc).
A decent blade is essential on any diamond wheel cutter & grinder. I suspect your tiler had a poor blade or clumsy cutting or both.

+1 with this advice, but whatever route you take..........buy a decent blade as the odds are that the one that comes with the machine will be cheap and nasty and will not give you a good result. Bearing this in mind your cheapest option would probably be a angle grinder (you've probably got one of those) and a good blade. (be prepared to pay £50 - £70 pounds for that). Hope this helps.

A angle grinder with a decent blade would not take any longer than any other form of cutting. Personally I find the angle grinder more versatile than anything else. it can be used for straight cuts/plunge cuts for sockets etc circular square or anything else/curves for shower bases/circular holes of any size. Hopefully it would never happen but if ever I had the choice of just one tool to do a tiling job..............100% angle grinder.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wet, dry or grinder..........???? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Advice Hi guys, got some 60cmx60cm porcelain tiles to lay in a hallway with a modular pattern...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’m after a new hand held wet & dry saw cos my dewalts had it, and been looking at the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I have a wet tile cutter and am about to use it quite a lot as have loads of cuts to do and...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB