Discuss wet room grout problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

NickMizen

Hi! We have just had a semi wetroom installed (tiled shower floor, but with shower screen). The wall and floor tiles are porcelain, with the floor tiles having been laid on marine ply over the dry floor, and a moulded base with drainage laid under the tiles at the same height as the ply for the wet shower area. This was installed approx 3 weeks ago. A flexible grout was used that can be submerged in water. Not sure what adhesive was used.

In the last week the grout has, I think, started to leak. When you stand on the tiles the grout "bubbles", which I presume is water that has got under the grout being squeezed through. Or is this just flexible grout being flexible?

My Tiler has scrapped some of the grout out, and replaced with a non-flexible grout. But the same thing has started to happen again.

Any ideas on what I need to do to rectify this? I don't want the area to leak into our kitchen, but know that if I need to take the tiles up and re-do the adhesive then I will ruin the moulded shower base - very costly!
Any advice would be very appreciated.
:(

D

DHTiling

when you say moulded base is this the substrate which has been tiled on or is it just the ply. if it just the ply then it should have been tanked to make this water tight, flexible adhesive used and a flexible grout , these products are water resistant not water proof so its sounds as if you have water ingression in the substrate and will need to lifted and done properly. i.e. any substrate to be tanked ( water proofed )

B

brian c

when you say moulded base is this the substrate which has been tiled on or is it just the ply. if it just the ply then it should have been tanked to make this water tight, flexible adhesive used and a flexible grout , these products are water resistant not water proof so its sounds as if you have water ingression in the substrate and will need to lifted and done properly. i.e. any substrate to be tanked ( water proofed )

good advice Dave.:wink_smile:

N

NickMizen

Initial grout used . ( Bond It Wide Joint Compound , Flexible ) Which is a cement based , highly polymer modified joint filling compound . . We noticed bubbles coming through the grout when walking on the tiles after a shower .. Upon of inspection of the grout ,it was really soft in places ..
We left it to dry for a week and it was still soft so we then scraped the soft grout out and thought we'd try some hard set grout . This has now done the same (and gone a bit dusty ).. we've been having baths for a week now an the grey grout is still a little darker than the rest of the floor ( only very slightly ) I'm thinking of scraping all the grout out this time and letting it dry for a further few days .. What would your plan of attack be then ? Thanks again for all your help so far ... :star:

J

jackylu

rake all the grout out and leave to dry, then re-grout with epoxy grout this should resolve your problem , tip is to use an emusifying pad to remove the thick of the epoxy and finish with a sponge.. hope this sorts your dilemma... dave......
You are right.
43.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to wet room grout problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
wet room grout problem
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.