Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Wetroom and underfloor heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CarlGHudson

I am becoming increasingly confused by the various options available for waterproofing my wetroom area.

I have purchased a 1700x1700 Impey Aquadec former and was looking to follow up with Impey recommended products - Tilesafe and Devimat. However, advise on wall tiling seems pretty sparse (I'm concerned about the weight of my wall tiles) and forums suggest there are better and cheaper alternatives out there.

What would be the recommendation for:

1. Waterproofing the timber floor and dec area.
2. A compatible underfloor heating system.
3. Type of grout/cement for floor tiles.
4. Waterproofing the wall area - to take glass mosaic tiles.
5. Cement / grouting for glass mosiac tiles to be waterproof and not discolour.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Carl:mad2:

A

ap222

I am becoming increasingly confused by the various options available for waterproofing my wetroom area.

I have purchased a 1700x1700 Impey Aquadec former and was looking to follow up with Impey recommended products - Tilesafe and Devimat. However, advise on wall tiling seems pretty sparse (I'm concerned about the weight of my wall tiles) and forums suggest there are better and cheaper alternatives out there.

Thank you

Hello Carl, I've also recently completed a wetroom using these products, and currently on tiling stages.
Re: your questions:

1. Tilesafe is brilliant stuff for tanking wetroom floors, but a little tricky to work with though. Watch out for air bubbles when installing. Its not recommended to put onto walls if your tiles are going to weigh more than 20kg/m2. I personally wouldn’t install it on walls, only about 75mm high at floor to wall junctions. If you are using plasterboad for the walls, tank the walls with a tanking membrane, Mapeigum wps is quality stuff. If your budget allows, go for cement backer boards such as marmox. They are completely waterproof and can carry more weight than plasterboard.
2. Devimat is fine (i've installed the same 100w), but bear in mind the wattage must not exceed more than 100W/m2, as more powerful mats may damage the tilesafe membrane. Use a latex or fibre based self levelling compound to cover and bed in the ufh to protect it and help prevent hotspots. Also install 10mm insulation boards (again marmox will do) under the ufh to speed up heating times & retain warmth. If you decide to put the devimat on the aqua dec, take care not to loose the preformed gradients.
3.You can go for any of the good brands, make sure its powdered, and flexible. I went for Mapei Keraquick rapidset adhesive, and mapei ultracolor grout.
4. as mention in 1, you can waterproof walls using mapeigum wps, or any other good quality tanking membrane.
5. You can seal your tiles and grout using a good quality impregnating sealer such as lithofin or ltp.

good luck with the project.:thumbsup:

W

wetdec

Provided the floor is stable and screwed at 30cm centres then either Dura-ci or Dura-wp could be used

Tanking wood floors in bathrooms, wet rooms and showers

Any system can be used over the above membranes up to 150/160 watt per m2. Check out Uheat for this.

Any flexible one or two part powdered adhesive, pre-mixed tubbed pastes are no good for this job.

Again Dura-wp tanking membrane should be used here, tape corners and fix using above adhesive, no problem weight wise.

Wet room, shower and bathroom wall tanking kits.

Using a flexible floor grout or a wall tile grout with flexible additive, the latter being a smaller grain and better imo.

Thank you

There you go Carl :thumbsup:

Reply to Wetroom and underfloor heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Wetroom and underfloor heating
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.