Discuss Wetroom floor advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bucks.

We are about to build a wetroom in our house with asuspeded timber floor, we have decided to go for the Marmox showerstone tray

What would be the best alternative to plywood to fill in around the tray, we are not wanting to use the foam type boards due to point load issues (as we are ussing 2" mosaic travertine on the floor
we are going to be covering the whole floor inc tray with UFH also what would be the best tanking for the floor?

I was planning to just use ply & tank with the rubber tilesafe & then use the Devimat 100 UFH, but if we can get a replacement for the ply & tilesafe we would prefer to use the Devimat 150 (which is to hot for timber & the tilesafe)

Any help & advice would be much appreciated.

D

Daz

I am in the process of doing my upstairs en-suite as a wetroom. I have installed a Tuff2 wetfloor former (Wetdecs.co.uk: Shop Online for Wet room, Screens, Tanking kits, Wet room shower tray formers.) and added extra noggins between the joists, and will be overboarding the floor with 18mm WBP ply. I am installing electric UFH purchased from U-heat (Underfloor Heating | Electric | Floor Insulation | Uheat) but not over the shower tray. I prefer to leave the shower tray without UFH just in case any issues arise longer term and the tray needs to be lifted. The complete floor area will be tanked using Durabase WP but the tilesafe product is also good (I just find it annoying to work with, but performance is good).

If you intend to use the Devimat 150, can you not ply the floor to eliminate any deflection, and then cover with 6mm insulation boards?

T

tfs

first off do all that you can to make sure the sub floor is solid, ensure that you reinforce under the tray also.

I would prefer to use a backer board on a wetroom floor in addition to tanking.

In terms of what tanking/ membrane kits suit what underfloor heating etc, I would discuss with manufacturers for 100% peice of mind. Just be sure to have technical details of each priduct at hand. You will find these on most manufacturers websites.

People do things different ways so I preffer to run things past manufacturer technical dept on subjects that Im not 100%n with.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tfs

I personally dont think it would be aproblem mate. If in doubt check it out! these boards will have undergone tests to adhere to BS so the manufacturer can tell you of any limits it may have. Apparently warmfloor boards take upto 30 tonnes per square metre.

I dont think there would be any probs but best to check if you feel concerned.

I know where you are coming from though as when you look at these boards they look too soft.

JUST ENSURE THE SUB FLOOR IS SOLID & FLAT!

D

Daz

Provided you have eliminated deflection so that there is no movement in the floor you should be fine. You have a choice when choosing "insulation boards", you can opt for standard polycore boards, cement lined polycore boards or cement boards.

As long as the boards are stuck using a flexible tile adhesive to ensure no voids and screwed to the ply they will not be going anywhere. Also, I recommend covering the UFH with a self levelling compound (obviously not the wet former) so that will ensure a flat and strong substrate, too, which will suit the mosaics. Cover the UFH on the wet former with flexible tile adhesive instead of SLC to maintain the correct falls.

I hope this helps.

Daz

T

tfs

If you aint fast, your last Daz:prrr:

I agree with Daz, point loading on the boards in mainly associated with installation of the boards and can happen during installation when being compressed by the installer etc. So by getting the floor good combined with a solid fix to the substrate the board well be well bonded to the floor and if you use a good quality cement reinforced insulation board there will be less chance of damage to the board during installation.

B

Bucks.

Erm why would you cover the tray in UFH? I always thought that it should be avoided?

So we have cozy warm feet of course :smiley2:

The whole floor of the wetroom is going to pretty much act as a shower tray, as we are not putting a shower screen in, so if we don't put UFH on the tray the whole floor will be cold.

I have seen plenty of people stating that they put UFH over shower trays on various threads on this & other forums.

B

Bucks.

Sorted now on how I'm constructing the floor see http://www.tilersforums.com/search.php?searchid=383430 if interested.

Now I am looking for recomendations/advice on tanking the floor & shower tray?
The showertray is one of the Marmox (modified concrete) Showerstone trays, with the surrounding floor boards overlaid with 18mm WBP plywood flush with the tray, the tray & plywood will be covered with a 150w UFH mat.

So what would be the best tanking product to use on the floor? also would you recommend tanking the walls which I am planning to cover with the Marmox boards (even though they should be waterproof (if installed correctly)

again any help/recomendations would be much appreciated

Forgot to add the walls are going to be coverd in 450x300 marble tiles & the floor in 50mm mosaics.

Reply to Wetroom floor advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all In a kind of 'Payment' for all the advice i have got from here i have decided to do a...
Replies
Views
Tile Shop
T
Good evening. It's been a while.. I always visit when I need reliable advice, this is the most...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and after your advice and collective knowledge please? I am in the...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Wetroom floor advice please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.