Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Wetroom Floor Plywood Floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sim101

Morning all,

First query on this forum, so here goes!

Renovating my own property at the moment and have finally reached the time of thinking about the bathrooms.

Have decided to go for wetrooms in both an ensuite and main bathroom, and have gone down the aquadec route, both rooms using 1000mm sq tray.

Opening question then! regarding floor prep, It's an old house with 22mm floor boards and i'm reflooring both areas in and around the rooms. so was thinking of flooring the bathroom areas direct to joist with 22mm ply, which maches both my floor boards and aqua dec for height.

Is this thick enough? how often should i be screwing it down? is it worth gluing it down?

Hoping the above makes sense

Cheers

Sim

D

dumbrill

That thickness will be ok as long as there is no deflection after its fitted. If there is any deflection in the existing floor you should add some extra niggins to tighten it up. The ply should be fine then. Id screw it down at least every 150mm as you only have the joists to screw it to. I wouldnt glue it down as i dont see you will gain anything from it
I'm in a similar situation with a 22mm tray former laid onto the joists. Is there any need to put a decoupling layer onto the plywood? If so then I had thought of using 18mm ply with a decoupling layer and underfloor heating matt, ie. ending up around 22mm.

P

peckers

Morning all,

First query on this forum, so here goes!

Renovating my own property at the moment and have finally reached the time of thinking about the bathrooms.

Have decided to go for wetrooms in both an ensuite and main bathroom, and have gone down the aquadec route, both rooms using 1000mm sq tray.

Opening question then! regarding floor prep, It's an old house with 22mm floor boards and i'm reflooring both areas in and around the rooms. so was thinking of flooring the bathroom areas direct to joist with 22mm ply, which maches both my floor boards and aqua dec for height.

Is this thick enough? how often should i be screwing it down? is it worth gluing it down?

Hoping the above makes sense

Cheers

Sim
As you are taking up the floor anyway I would put extra noggings in as scottley has already said, you want to put them in at 300 centres. as the floor will be open it is better to make sure now rather then screwing down the ply and finding out there is still movement there. you could use 18mm ply and put a 6mm backer board on top of the ply and install the tray to suit the height.

P

peckers

I'm in a similar situation with a 22mm tray former laid onto the joists. Is there any need to put a decoupling layer onto the plywood? If so then I had thought of using 18mm ply with a decoupling layer and underfloor heating matt, ie. ending up around 22mm.

you have a 22mm tray

ply 18mm
heating mat 3mm
slc 1mm over top of cables approx
adhesive to stick de-coupler 2mm
de-coupler 3mm
27mm in total approx. leaving tray 5mm aprox below finished surface before tiling. could raise tray by 6mm by putting tile backer under it.
What tiles are you using?
depends on tiles and area but you might not need a de-coupler, you could use a tile backer board.

18mm ply
6mm tile backer board
heating mat 3mm
slc over the top of cable 1mm
adhesive and tanking membrane 2mm
total of 30mm - tray 22mm = 8mm needed to bring tray up could put some 9mm ply under tray to raise tray to get the height right.

D

dumbrill

you have a 22mm tray
ply 18mm
heating mat 3mm
slc 1mm over top of cables approx
adhesive to stick de-coupler 2mm
de-coupler 3mm
27mm in total approx. leaving tray 5mm aprox below finished surface before tiling. could raise tray by 6mm by putting tile backer under it.
What tiles are you using?
depends on tiles and area but you might not need a de-coupler, you could use a tile backer board.
18mm ply
6mm tile backer board
heating mat 3mm
slc over the top of cable 1mm
adhesive and tanking membrane 2mm
total of 30mm - tray 22mm = 8mm needed to bring tray up could put some 9mm ply under tray to raise tray to get the height right.
Thanks for the quick reply.
The area of the ply is about 1.7m x 1.6m - does this affect the need for a decoupler?
Do I need a decoupler if I'm going onto ply? The OP of this thread hasn't indicated that he's going to use one.
I haven't chosen the tiles yet. How can the choice of tiles affect whether I need a decoupler?
I would much prefer to keep the depth down so dispensing without any unnecessary layers would be good.
As a bit of background I should probably explain that my floor is made up of welded 50x50mm rectangular hollow section steel stood onto the concrete slab under the ground floor. The biggest opening between 'joists' and 'noggings' is 52 x 34 cm and the whole structure is very solid. I plan to screw the ply directly onto the steel using self drilling screws.
I've got the 1.7m x 1.6m section sloping down (1:70) towards a Purus Maxxus floor former at one end. The only weakness in the design is that the door is halfway along the side of the room and so I don't want to build the wetroom level up too much above the outside level. Although the door will be away from any water source.
I've attached a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_9240.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 260
P

peckers

well ive never tiled onto anything fitted to a steel frame before and this is new to me.
If you were using a natural stone tile with undertile heating then i would advise using a de-coupler as this is intended for laterall movement as when the tiles heat up. If using ceramics/porcelain over that area i wouldnt be to concerned about using a de-coupler. You will however have to waterproof the ply and this can be done by installing a membrane such as schutler kerdi membrane.
the method would normally be ply heating matt slc membrane and then tiles.

But i must say i havent tiled onto a steel structure before and dont know if any other considerations should be taken into account!!!!!!
There may be another forum member on here who has done so who could give advice.
Or you could contact wetdecs who is a forum sponsor and supplies all materials for wetroom installations. you will find his ad on the main start up page on the left hand side.
I hope this helps but as i said i havent come across this type of installation before and i dont want to give you the wroung info...

D

dumbrill

well ive never tiled onto anything fitted to a steel frame before and this is new to me.
If you were using a natural stone tile with undertile heating then i would advise using a de-coupler as this is intended for laterall movement as when the tiles heat up. If using ceramics/porcelain over that area i wouldnt be to concerned about using a de-coupler. You will however have to waterproof the ply and this can be done by installing a membrane such as schutler kerdi membrane.
the method would normally be ply heating matt slc membrane and then tiles.

But i must say i havent tiled onto a steel structure before and dont know if any other considerations should be taken into account!!!!!!
There may be another forum member on here who has done so who could give advice.
Or you could contact wetdecs who is a forum sponsor and supplies all materials for wetroom installations. you will find his ad on the main start up page on the left hand side.
I hope this helps but as i said i havent come across this type of installation before and i dont want to give you the wroung info...

I won't be using natural stone because I don't want to bother with the sealing, etc and I'm planning to put a membrane over the ply. I guess I'm looking for the thinnest/best membrane and heating combination and the right ply thickness.

P

peckers

Id put some thought into the expansion and contraction of the steel frame, if it was mine id definitely use a decoupler with any type of tile
im just picking your brains here scott a decoupler in this type of install is wise as you say do you think the steel frame could be affected for expansion by the heating cable more then if it was a normal wooden joists??

D

dumbrill

Id put some thought into the expansion and contraction of the steel frame, if it was mine id definitely use a decoupler with any type of tile

The rate of expansion of steel is not very much. About one thousandth of a percent change per degree. Along a length of 1700mm and with a 20 degC temp rise the steel will expand by 0.4mm. I'm assuming that this is negligible.

Reply to Wetroom Floor Plywood Floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm having the majority of the ground floor of my house tiled (35m²) and I'm not...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Wetroom Floor Plywood Floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.