UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Wetroom Floor using Kaskade needs adjustment? How? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wildfirejc

Our new wetroom floor has a 1200 x 900 mm Kaskade base plus extensions on two sides to form a platform which has a total of 1800 x 1300mm. I have a rainshower.
The tiler told me that water which falls on the extension bits will flow back into the Kaskade tray and through the drain.
Mosaics used were 25mm porcelain.
However, now that it has been done, the water is pooling on the extended platforms - as the edge of the Kaskade had a membrane which sits proud of the tray...so water won't go uphill....

My problem is:- if we shower with careless abandon (which is the usual for most people) we are afraid that water accumulating in the extension bits will dribble over the side onto our laminate floor....causing water to go through the floorboards and damaging the ceiling of the living room - which is under the bathroom.

So can anyone suggest some kind of resin spray or whatever - which we can use to make a gradient that would drain the water from the extended bits back to the kaskade tray?

Attachments

• Wetroom tray.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 69
W

wildfirejc

The Shower head is an Eauzone X-el 25 cm square which at 1.5 - 2 bar pressure, gives 7.5 litres per minute flow rate. The drain of the Kaskade handles 40 litres/minute.
However, this is not the problem...the issue is basically - the white parts in the photo are retaining water pools because the edges of the blue part (Kaskade wetroom tray) had Mega Joint sealing tape around it - and that has created a slight bulge around the edge - so the water falling onto the white parts don't drain into the blue part...if you see what I mean. The finished photo is the mosaic and the contrast wouldn't show in a photo...to enable anyone to see the problem. But for completeness, I shall download a photo later tonight when I get home from work.
Then to tope it all, when the pooling gets too much, the water dribbles over the edge which is now trimmed.

W

wildfirejc

This is what my tiler replied when I told him that there is pooling in the wetroom floor:-

The problem I can see is that in hind sight, to be honest a wet room floor is not what you are after.

You are after a 1.5m x 1.8m self draining shower tray, a wet room floor by definition is a floor that is able to get wet and stay wet without causing a problem and has a showering area within this.

Could anyone comment please?

T

Time's Ran Out

Although your tiler may have made a slope from the edge of your 'wet' area to the outlet to ensure that no pooling occurred, the area you have created with a dry area of laminate flooring IMHO is not a practical solution for the size room you have and power of your shower. Water hitting a body will splash outside of your 'wet' area - so to certain criteria he is correct with his answer.

W

wildfirejc

Another problem I've noticed is this:-
We bought two 10 Kg bags of Ardex Flex FS Grout for our wall tiles and wetroom floor mosaic tiles.
When the tiler has completed the wetroom floor grouting using the Ardex Flex FS Grout Natural Almond colour, we noticed that some patches are darker then others. We thought it may be that the grout needs to dry out and then all will look the same. However, it's been more than a week now...and some patches are definitely darker than others. Is there a reason for this? could the grouting been done wrong? Please advise.
Could he have mixed the wrong colour grout in the areas which are darker? The wall grout is Ardex Flex FS Stone Beach.

Attachments

• Mosaic 2.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Mosaic 1.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 39
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wetroom Floor using Kaskade needs adjustment? How? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, sorry for the clunky thread title... Just over a year ago we had a side...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup. We're installing a shower tray...
Replies
Views
Hi! Just looking for some thoughts regarding extending an existing tiled are if possible please...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.