Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Wetroom Installation - Here it goes! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Duchard

I've been using this forum now for bits and pieces to help with my house extension. Some of the advise on here is excellent and there is alot of people on here who know what they're talking about. So big thankyou to everyone who has given me advice in the past. :thumbsup:

My wetroom is finally coming to the stage where I can begin its preparation so I want to log this on the forum for people to see , advise, and use. There's alot of ways a wetroom can be installed as Ive found out along my journey and it seems there is no definite right or wrong way. Just some general principles.

My wetroom is offset as part of a new build to my house. An opening has been created through the exisitng external wall and appropriate lintel installed to support the load.
The area has a vaulted celing with a PVC Velux window. A decent fan has been factored into the installation to help reduce condensation in the roof. The height goes up to a maximum of 3m. The wetroom area is 1.8m long by 1.3m wide with an opening of 1m from the existing bathroom. I will be posting photos to illustrate and in the installation stages

Ok to summarise my method:

The walls (Thermite blockwork)

1) Pre drill holes in my block work and insert a decent raw plug for the thermite block.

2) Install Hardibacker500 along my block work up to 2m in height using cement based tile adhesive. Fully loaded over the entire board.

3) Screw fix all holes to secure the hardibacker into place.

4) Seal all edges / corners / inlet pipes with waterproof silcone and waterproof tape.

5) Tank the area with BAL WP1 tanking kit.

6) Tile with 30x20cm ceramic tiles

The Floor (concrete slab)

1) Drain outllet has already been installed at build time. Leaving me with standard 100mm waster pipe poking out the concrete slab.

2) Using the Impey aqua grade matrix I intend to fill out the floor with concrete screed over the matrix to form my floor with gradients to the central drain.

3) Tank with floor with BAL WP1 as with the walls.

4) Tile (not sure if a floor membrane is needed / sensible here to allow for floor movement?

I think thats about it, I'm sure its not going to be all plain sailing but I feel I have made enough preparatoin as I can using this site and other professional advise.

Please feel free to pick holes and add anyting I may have missed.

As mentioned I will upload photos in various stages. :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to Wetroom Installation - Here it goes! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Wetroom Installation - Here it goes!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.