Discuss Wetroom with UFH - preparation and tanking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I got confused on a post recently where Ash (Mr TeaBag) asked some questions over tanking with a spread on gum waterproofing.

I'm in the middle of a wetroom install at the moment so thought I'd share my pictures.

This job was originally prep'd by someone else, consequently very poorly. So, SLC, UFH, durabase, puddles of adhesive, offcuts of OSB, and rotten floorboards were all removed to reveal rotten joists.

u8ujanab.jpg

etaha6a3.jpg

Joists were repaired, support for new wet tray created, some plumbing altered and 18mm WBP marine ply screwed to new timbers.

8yquhegy.jpg

y9a2ysyz.jpg

Marmox boards installed. Glued and screwed with washers.
UFH cable and probe installed.

adaja6ed.jpg

I used some off cuts of marmox boards to make a "flood barrier" for the SLC. Once set they are removed and the wet tray gets covered and shaped for falls.

pe6etuty.jpg

jazu4ejy.jpg

Then it was on to the tanking. For this install I used BALs WP1 and Orby jointing tape and corner profiles.

sudegy4e.jpg

e9y5e7a5.jpg

9avabejy.jpg

Once dry we can start our tiling!

epu2ydeg.jpg

Last edited:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
The later mate. But the floor was quite out of level as it ran toward the door. So in an attempt to bring it right the wet area became quite deep. Yep there is a marmox former in the bottom. But when covering the cables the nearside was built up 20mm where as the back corner was less than half that.

I used a thicker mix of fibre reinforced SLC and effectively rendered the wet area following the falls in the former. If that makes sense?

S

SteveyJ

HI, Great work, floor prep looks awesome. Can I ask a quick question, I know you stated you used 18mm WPB to put straight on the floor joists, any reason why you didn't use 25mm, or is 18mm more than sufficient for tiling onto without flex? I'm not trying to be a smart arse or pick you up at all I just wondered. Also when you said about the SLC what type do you use? I have always mixed up some rapid set flex and flat troweled it over, but would much rather use a level compound (without the need to fall level over the tray!!!). Cheers

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
HI, Great work, floor prep looks awesome. Can I ask a quick question, I know you stated you used 18mm WPB to put straight on the floor joists, any reason why you didn't use 25mm, or is 18mm more than sufficient for tiling onto without flex? I'm not trying to be a smart arse or pick you up at all I just wondered. Also when you said about the SLC what type do you use? I have always mixed up some rapid set flex and flat troweled it over, but would much rather use a level compound (without the need to fall level over the tray!!!). Cheers

Evening Steve,
Floorboards were 18mm so used 18mm ply to marry up with the boards at the threshold of the doorway. 18mm is sufficient as long as you put noggins in for additional strength/support.
6mm indulation boards were then glued and screwed over the top.
Once UFH was laid out I used Mapei rennovation screed to cover.

S

SteveyJ

Hey Allister, Thanks appreciate that, obviously you have done it before so not had any issues with movement. I will bear that in mind next time I come across a similar situation.
Also never used any Mapei product before guess its the same as BAL fibrebase? Guess it sticks to the marmox fleecey tape stuff ok. What sort of mix do you do over the Marmox tray to stop it levelling out, mix it up like adhesive, quite stiff? Is there a ratio you use? Cheers Steve

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wetroom with UFH - preparation and tanking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi, first post here. I've been lurking this forum for advice for a while, thank you all who...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup. We're installing a shower tray...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB