Discuss What a day in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Arrived to the job today only to find the tiles for the floor were from a place called " Payless"...well you can guess what they were like....4mm differnce in size. Showed the client, he was upset as he "paid good money for those". I didnt ask how much but if he paid £5 per m2 it still would have been £4.99 too much.
So ok he says he will change them but cant do it for a few hours. At least I have the wall tiles to carry on with. 600 x 300 Ceramic (polished travertine lookalike) ....from China. They looked lovely except for the 3mm bow in every tile. So I called the shop were he got these from as I knew them. I asked if they had had any more complaint about this tile, No they said and they have sold loads. I explained they were useless as the client wanted half bond layout. They didnt offer much help. So i got onto the builder who I was doing the job for. he came and saw the tiles and took them back to the shop. They all agreed in the end that the tiles were useless and have had to send all back to their supplier inc the rest of their stock. It seems that they hadnt sold many anyway so they lied to me.
the builder returns with another tile, also from China. Well these were dead straight but instead of 600 x 300 they were 600 x 330....which meant I had to set out the walls again. As it happens it actually helped by giving a larger cut to the ceiling and also working better around the window.
With the tiles on site and I am able to make a start, adhesive supplied was 3 buckets of ready mixed :mad2::mad2::mad2:....I shoot off home and return with Mapei Keraflex Maxi white. A bit of overkill for these tiles P9 would have sufficed but I had this in the garage at home. by the time i get back to site its 11 am. I set my mind to thinking if I can tile the 2 straight walls in the bathroom then I will have a good start for the morning. In the end I got those wals tiled and another wall plus I prepped the wndow wall which needed a few areas sorting.
So the day wasnt as bad as it started but why do people expect these tiles from those cheap outlets to be any good. As for the tile shop it was good to see that their know it all smiles had been wiped off their faces when I called in tonight on the way home.

P

Perfect Tiling

Yep...know what you mean. Why do customers try to cut corners by buying cheaper tiles???? Started on a job yesterday...laying 16 sq mtrs of ungraded slate. Two sizes supplied...600 x 300 and 300 x 300. I've still to find the tiles that are actually these sizes!!! The thicknesses range from 24mm down to 7mm and as for the colour differentiation......... I wouldn't actually use these in my garden, but the customer wants slate and these were a good deal (FOR THE SELLER!!!) Never mind...makes for an interesting few days.

G

Gazzer

Hope your getting more than £8/metre for your trouble on this one Neale?

Hell yeah, Usually the builder is cool but he hasnt had anything to do with the tiles on this job. Client is penny pinching IMO although he is a nice guy. I guess the temptation to save some money is too great and they dont realise the issues that we have when it comes to fixing the tiles.

Reply to What a day in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, hoping someone can help with advice. We purchased 600 x 600 tiles for our bathroom floor...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
What a day
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.