UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss What a great forum in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Graham100

I've only just noticed the links at the top in orange to similar forums. What a mine of information this site is. I have known for some time how useful forums are in any field (I learned masses about carp fishing a couple of years ago from forums). You tap straight in to people with a passion for the subject and masses of knowledge.

I bought a brand new motorcycle a few years ago, a top of the range 1300cc sports tourer. I won't say which make or model. It was a new model of that particular bike. It had an inherent fault that would cause it to stall intermitently. The shop took the bike back a couple of times but 'could not find the fault'. Eventually it was sent back to the manufacturers base in the UK where extensive tests were done, they too said all was fine.

I was a member of a huge forum based in America for that particular model and sought their advice. I then discovered that this was a global problem and found subscribers to that forum from several countries who had gone through the same process as me. It turned out that to comply with emissions laws the bike had to be set up this way, it could be rectified but would cost the owner to do it and would then technically be illegal. I wasn't satisfied with this and armed with the information gained on the American forum was able to get a full refund for the bike after 6 months. Apparantly the manufacturers were monitoring the American forum as the bike is a big seller in the States, and they (in my opinion) were waiting for the time bomb to go off. After our result I believe others were able to get some satisfaction.

The worst experience was turning right from a standing start across oncoming traffic. I had the wife on the back and a full load of luggage. The bike cut out as we started to move, and with the inertia of the turn and weight of the bike, I was only just able to keep it upright avoiding falling over on our side in the path of oncoming traffic.

Thanks to the internet and a forum we were able to affect an international company's policy, and make them come clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

theres quite a few bikers on here, like sir ramic the bmw sprang to mind

mines a 1959 bsa 500 shooting star which ive owned since I was 19, thats 30 yrs ago, its undergoing a light restoration for the first time, mainly chrome work

due to work pressures thats gone on the back burner for the mo but will be a nice winter project,Im reluctant to strip it more than needed as it could end up a basket case, so im more in the aqcusition stage right now

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What a great forum in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
uHeat and TilersForums.com go Way Back - And Continue to Partner-up to Bring You Savings on...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Man gets fined for traveling from Sheffield to Stoke to buy tile adhesive. Note that you can...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.