Discuss what are the chances of my ufh getting damaged removing tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dougs Third Go

The biggest factor as to the success of this is how was the UFH installed? Was it immersed in self levelling compound prior to tiling? If so then I give you a 50/50 chance of success... All dependant on other factors too like how long the cement adhesive has been curing? Was the slc primed then tiled? What adhesive bla bla bla...

best set way to go about it, do not attempt to get chisel under tiles and lift!!! Hammer the tiles surface and lift small pieces. Watch those fingers though, wear gloves!
exactly what i was gonna say :thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

Sparkle, I've read through this thread and a few pages of the other one (sorry couldn't stretch to the whole 11!!). Of course none of this is your fault and you will be out of pocket to a small degree but if she keeps to her last offer, i.e. pays for replacement tiles, adhesives, mat etc etc. then bite her hand off! Believe me if you read over the many threads where people just like you have come here looking for advice after being ripped off, most of them do not get away as lightly as it looks you might, they often have to fight tooth and nail for sometimes months to get even some reimbursement and many dont even get a penny. I would cut what looks to be minimal losses and start again.

I know you want to get this whole sorry mess behind you but do not go on the recommendation of a carpenter you have just met off mybuilder, in fact stop looking at mybuilder all together! I could go on for 11 pages why mybuilder is no different than sticking your finger in the middle of the yellow pages and getting a tradesman that way.

Find a tiler and ask if you can see a current job they are on, most will oblige but of course the home owner could refuse, then ask for a written quote for the works and ask about prep work, then check what they say with the members here. I'm sure many chancers could be found out in this way. There is no point in taking anymore risks in getting the right person in.

BTW I noticed you said 18mm ply was put down but somebody told you 9mm is better. That isn't true. 18mm is better with regards to ply, but seeing as you have UFH, you would be much better to use a 10mm insulated tile backer board. This will reduce the running costs of the UFH and is also a better substrate to tile on to. Assuming of course you have a solid subfloor to begin with.

good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sparkle333

thx for all the info colour republic, I had floor boards down but due to the electricians and plumber taking them up so much a few of the sides didn't fit properly or had gaps so she told me to put down 18 mm plywood, but its made me have quite a step up into bathroom now. ive got someone coming out tonight if he has time or tomorrow, he said my heating mat should have been covered in latex before tiled, ive just realised he sometimes works with my son in law so that's put my mind to rest a bit , he must be ok lol. thx a lot ill just carry on updating on my first thread as gets confusing replying to 2 lol

S

sparkle333

bathroom is on its way , getting walls all prepared after tiles taken off, ive just been told she has put mat down wrong and the therm control thingy, not sure what its called, wasn't under a tile so my heating would have been on all the time and cost me a fortune, so in a way probably best she did do a bad job tiling or I wouldn't have known , once bathroom finished ill get new pics done might be next wk as ive got to try get plumber back to finish and he seems busy

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Just bumping some threads in the underfloor heating forum. You can now find and search for both electric underfloor heating and water underfloor heating threads. By the way, if you feel some of the threads you want to be seen at the top of the forum need to be bumped back, for the next month or so from now, feel free to do that. Although it's not usually something we allow, whilst we're going through this process of changing over forum software, we see the need for this to happen.

Reply to what are the chances of my ufh getting damaged removing tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB