Currently reading:
What causes low IR readings? Electrical Advice

While we have you, why don't you checkout our Plumbing Advice forum PlumbersForums.net

Discuss What causes low IR readings? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

What causes low IR readings? Discussion ThreadWhat causes low IR readings? Electrical Advice

I’m currently at the second fix stage of a rewire and before all the flooring goes down I’ve decided to do r1+r2 readings to make sure everything is continuous and polarity is correct. I also decided to do insulation resistance tests and have got lower than expected readings.

On the downstairs lighting circuit I got a reading of around 200-300Mohm. After breaking the lighting circuit down I found the reading was caused by the switch cable in the utility room however I can’t get to the entire length to inspect it. I might replace this one as it is a quick run.

I went to test a few radials circuits and they were perfect >1049Mohm. Went to do the upstairs ring and I was getting about 400Mohm Between neutral and earth.

Downstairs ring between live and earth I was getting around 600Mohm then it will climb to about 1000Mohm.

I know these readings are satisfactory as I’ve looked in the guidance note and it says minimum insulation resistance is 1Mohm but on a new install anything less than 20Mohm needs investigating.

I’ve read moisture is the main culprit and can be caused by damp from plastering, but it’s been plastered about 2 months ago.

There are no loads or sensitive equipment on the lighting circuits. On both rings there is a fused spur with no neon however I did forget to take the fuse out but that couldn’t cause these readings could it?

What else can cause readings to be lowered to these numbers?

I know guidance note 3 says less than 20Mohm is needs investigating but would you investigate if you got these readings or is it just over the top and a waste of time?

What causes low IR readings? for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to What causes low IR readings? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Article
Sub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling Discussion ThreadSub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling Electrical Advice I am a retired electrician doing a home rewire. I'm taking...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Replacing fused spur and hard wired kitchen appliance (fridge freezer) with a standard plug socket Discussion ThreadReplacing fused spur and hard wired kitchen appliance (fridge freezer) with a...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Have a washer and dryer with related power supply issue Discussion ThreadHave a washer and dryer with related power supply issue Electrical Advice Have a washer and dryer that are plugged into...
Replies
Views
  • Article
What would you do about this one. Discussion ThreadWhat would you do about this one. Electrical Advice Client (local authority) want the consumer unit upgrading from a plastic one to the latest...
Replies
Views
  • Article
1 year old immersion heater keeps tripping thermal cut out, any suggestions? Discussion Thread1 year old immersion heater keeps tripping thermal cut out, any suggestions? Electrical Advice Hello...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Tilers Community
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

TF on Facebook

Thanks for visiting the original Tilers Community.