Discuss What goes between 17mm Marine Ply and 6mm Hardibacker? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DanC

Hi,

I'm about to replace my floorboards with 17mm Marine Ply and then 6mm of Hardibacker on top before laying tiles.

I thought I just screwed the Hardibacker to the Ply, but apparently I need a layer of tile adhesive in between. That's news to me, is that right?

If so, I assume I need to seal the Ply first too, I've had a look at the Mapei range but none explicitly say for this use, what would you guys use there instead?

Cheers!

D

DanC

Sorry, you've outed that this is the first time I've tiled...

It's primer I should be asking about isn't it? I'm after ensuring a good bond between the layers, not waterproofing...

Oh, I'm priming the adjacent plaster board with Bal APD but it looks like that's no good for Ply either. I can't find anything that says it should prime Ply OK... this is probably where you tell me I don't need to...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to What goes between 17mm Marine Ply and 6mm Hardibacker? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I have the old stock no more ply down unprimed. (Their new stock comes pre-primed). Mapei...
Replies
Views
Hi, a long time since I have been here but back for some advice/reassurance ! About to tile my...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've taken on the task of tiling my own kitchen, and before I wreck everything and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
What goes between 17mm Marine Ply and 6mm Hardibacker?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.