Discuss What has caused my cracked tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Cullis01

Just had a new bathroom fitted. Shower area is tanked with a Novellini wetroom kit and tilesafe. 3/4 of the rest of the bathroom walls are tiled with 450mm x 225mm Love Cermaic Tiles Travertino Bianco colour and fixed with Topps Tiles standard flexible self mix adhesive. Walls are of mixed construction, either plasterboard, plaster board with 6mm hardybackerboard, or plastered brick construction.

The problem now is that probably one third of the 160 tiles have cracked. Not just a single crack but many have several cracks all over the tiles. The majority of cracked tiles are in the shower area, but there are also cracked tiles on other walls away from the wet areas.

Have been in touch with the tile merchants who called in the suppliers. They sent a report saying there has been no other problems reported with the 10,000 tiles they have sold from this range. They say it is probably movement in the walls. There is no physical evidence of movement anywhere in the bathroom, and it would have to be occuring in all the walls affected, which are 5 different areas. The tilers say they have never seen anything like it. If it were movement they would expect to see a different type of cracking along the line of stress, and cracking in the grout - which is not evident.

Anybody have any ideas ? I'm at a loss as where to turn next. Obviously we have spent a lot of money on this bathroom and everybody is saying it's not their problem.

What should I do ?

thanks

Steve

C

Cullis01

Hi Sir,

Thanks for your reply. The tiler tells me it was self mix flexible adhesive not ready mix. There is no evidence of any movement in the corners or anywhere else in the room. The cracks are not very obvious in the tiles, you have to get up very close to see them or use the reflection from the lights. Some of the tiles have up to 10 cracks running across them where others just a single crack. They do not follow a pattern from tile to tile they just appear very random. Have tried taking photos but because they are not easily visible to the eye they do not come out in the photos either.

thanks

Steve

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Based on your description forgive me for what may seem a daft question but are you certain they are actually cracks. I wonder if some staining may have come through the natural fissures in the tiles and highlights them but they are not actually cracks. How deep into the tile do the cracks extend. It may be worth removing oneluike to see if it shows as cracks all the way through the tiles.

The other thing that springs to mind is possible thermal or natural drying shrinkage in the substrate.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As above, sounds like crazing to me some highly glazed tiles are prone to this. It could be the tiles have absorbed moisture from the adhesive causing the biscuit to expand slightly. This was one of the reasons sand and cement fixing was stopped. Most tile manufacturers cover themselves by stating that crazing is an inherent feature of ceramic tiles. Sorry this does not help you, but as said pics would help.:thumbsup:

M

Marble Life Ltd

Interesting, in what way..all info is good.

Dave

Numerous reasons:

Fault in the Biscuit
Firing Time
Firing Temperature
Glaze Thickness
How they are treated after firing
Way They are packed

How many times have you had tiles especially 150mm square whites and been able to almost see the biscuit from the glazed side???

Ultimately like everything else you get what you pay for

Kev
Marble Life Ltd

D

DHTiling

Dave

Numerous reasons:

Fault in the Biscuit
Firing Time
Firing Temperature
Glaze Thickness
How they are treated after firing
Way They are packed

How many times have you had tiles especially 150mm square whites and been able to almost see the biscuit from the glazed side???

Ultimately like everything else you get what you pay for

Kev
Marble Life Ltd

Too may to mention.. lol..

my thoughts would be that if it was at manufacture time then faults are normally apparent when fixing.. but this seems to have happened afterwards..?..

pics.. we want pics..:)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What has caused my cracked tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I was hoping to get some input/help on this situation. Background: We had 12 x 24"...
Replies
Views
Bathroom/bathtub walls were tiled to the ceiling and a shower screen was fitting. Tiler left...
Replies
Views
Hi had bathroom refurbished 4/5 years ago. A few years ago I noticed a vertical crack on tiles...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a homeowner living in the Metro Vancouver area in British Columbia. I am currently...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
What has caused my cracked tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.