Discuss What is back buttering? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

I always maintain that back buttering is combing the back of tile and back skimming is when you use the flat blade of the trowel for a thin spread of addy. Maybe just me being pedantic though.

I'm the other way round Doug,
When I back butter I use the flat edge of my trowel & when I back skim I use the teeth.

Not my own teeth though the ones on the trowel!!

S

Stef

Thanks guys, I wasn't expecting such rapid response.
Would you say it's essential for constructing a wetroom?
Should I do it myself or would it be worth paying a pro?

For a wet room I would definitely get a pro in but please do your homework on who you employ or it could cost you a pretty penny.
Someone on this forum will be local to you that would price it up for you.

Thanks guys, I wasn't expecting such rapid response.
Would you say it's essential for constructing a wetroom?
Should I do it myself or would it be worth paying a pro?

The practice ' back buttering' is essential when using Porcelain or Natural stone tiles in my opinion.

As Stef said, there will be a professional near you who will be able to price this wetroom for you.
We have a dedicated 'I am looking for a Wall & Floor Tiler' section for this purpose.

I just came across this post today - I know Armen Tavy personally and agree with his method.
I invented a tool called the "Back Butter Buddy" http://www.primo-tools.com and have had a thread with discussion here before. The video shows it fitting onto a "standard" bucket. Unfortunately, is a standard size here in the USA. The BBB DOES NOT HAVE to fit onto a bucket to work just fine. We are still waiting to revise the BBB to fit your buckets in the UK. - Phil

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What is back buttering? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hello: First time posting. Looks like a really good forum for Info. Here is my question: I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB