Discuss What to do?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

stevie12345

Hi

Firstly just wanted to say thank you for all the great posts and advice i have spent a long time looking at various things and they have been extremely helpful.

I have done quite a bit of research over my problem and have come up with a few options and i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on which option might be best or if there are other things i could do.

I am currently looking to put a new ceramic tile or vinyl tile floor throughout my kitchen (18m squared) and downstairs toilet. The issue is that currently there are vinyl tiles stuck solidly to the concrete below. We have had the tiles tested and they are the asbestos type. I have two young children and so really don't want to pull up and the disrupt the tiles, however minimal risk there might be. I am fully aware that all my options aren't ideal and that to do it properly i should pull the tiles up and get down to the concrete, but i wondered whether any of the options below that might work (with an added risk of failure of course)

1. Put down bal flexible adhesive on vinyl tiles and ceramic tile over the top - my issue with this is that if i ever want to change the tiles presumably everything will come up vinyl and all which isn't ideal

2. Prime the vinyl floor, slc on top (norcross pro 50 slc says it can go on vinyl tiles) and then tile on top

3. Stick down mdf or backerboard to the vinyl and seal all the way around to the walls (to give added security) and then tile on top - this would mean i would be able to change tiles as i could just go back down to the backerboard and so the vinyl tiles would be encapsulated and not touched

Are any of these viable or any there any better options?

Thanks for all your help

Q

Qwerty

Morning.

As the others have said. The tiles you have are likely to be the old Marley tiles which contain Asbestolux not Asbestos. This is essentially asbestos fibres which are encapsulated, and not loose as in pipe lagging etc. They are safe to remove in a well ventilated area using a mask and eye protection. Wash the tiles (and let water sit there) prior to lifting them to prevent dust. My local tip take these in the rubble skip no problem. Most tiles will lift as a complete tile. The bitumen residue underneath can be tackled by scraping as much off as possible and then covering with a "slurry coat" of SBR and SPF tile adhesive or Mapei Eco prim grip

Good luck

S

stevie12345

Thanks for the advice. Clearly I need to man up and get the vinyl up. If I roller some magpie ec prim grip after, how long do I need to wait until I put the adhesive for the tiles? Do I need to use any particular adhesive?

Thanks

Morning.

As the others have said. The tiles you have are likely to be the old Marley tiles which contain Asbestolux not Asbestos. This is essentially asbestos fibres which are encapsulated, and not loose as in pipe lagging etc. They are safe to remove in a well ventilated area using a mask and eye protection. Wash the tiles (and let water sit there) prior to lifting them to prevent dust. My local tip take these in the rubble skip no problem. Most tiles will lift as a complete tile. The bitumen residue underneath can be tackled by scraping as much off as possible and then covering with a "slurry coat" of SBR and SPF tile adhesive or Mapei Eco prim grip

Good luck

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What to do?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB