Discuss What trowel / spacer size do i need? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mrgdclark

I'm laying my 1st polished marble floor for my sister and need some advise. She has a new screed floor (been down about 2 months) and has wet underfloor heating installed which has been on up until a week ago and is perfectly level with no joins / cracks in it. the tiles are 600 x 600 x 12mm polished marble and the room is approx 7.1m x 4.6m.
1. what trowel size do i need. adh is powder flexible for underfloor heating
2. what spacer size should i use.
3. do you just "drop" the tile into place and tap it down?
4. do i need to treat the screed floor with anything?
5. do i give the tiles a 1st "seal" after i have put them down and before i grout and then reseal them after i have grouted?

i will be leaving a gap around the edge of approx 8 - 10 mm as i'm going to use the same tile as skirting.
many thanks for any advise

nybor62

TF
rotherham
min trowel size 10mm round notch, white flexible adhesive, spacers 2-3 mm, also back butter the tiles with flat side of trowel for 100%solid bed , lay the tile in place and twist slightly, the screed will need priming with suitable primer same as adhesive manafactuer , i would also use ditra matting when fixing stone products on to under floor heating,
seal before grouting and after, work as clean as poss .
gap around edge will be fine also

what type of screed is it.

mapei products are very good , from tile giant if you have one near you

M

mrgdclark

Hi, many thanks for your advise. With regard to the ditra matting is it possible to tile direct to the screed or will it cause problems? It's just budget is tight at the moment and it would cost near to £300 in materials for this matting.
The screed had a very watery mix of pva put all over it when it was first put down to stop any dust kicking up as my sister need to use the floor before xmas / tiling.
The screed i think is just a 4.5:1 mix of sharp sand and cement and ranges from 60mm to 80mm deep sitting on kingspan with the pipes fixed with plastic clips.

Reply to What trowel / spacer size do i need? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello. Doing... ( extremely slowly ).. a walk-in shower & additional soaking tub area 1) What...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
What trowel / spacer size do i need?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.