Discuss What van man! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
It comes done to budget and how much mileage that you will do.

If you don't do much mileage, buy the lower cost vans, like fiats,Renault, Nissan etc. cheaper to buy, but don't seem to hold their values.
if you do big mileage, go for a ford at the lower end then Volkswagen and Mercedes.
the merc and Volkswagen are built to do 300,000+ miles , but if they go wrong can be expensive. The fords will still do high mileage, but far cheaper on parts.
hope this helps.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Was it running badly or just doing alot of juice that made you get it done....

I had no power below 2800 revs.
This normaly means mas sensor or egr valve.
Garage I use plugged there lap top into the ecu and it came back with egr valve when they took it out it was a cheap make and was stuck open so it was replaced with a quality part and works fine now.
You can rotate it 180 decrease to block it off but as mine was a cheapy I decided to replace it.

Somerset
My van is my most important tool. It's stocked to deal with anything I expect to face on the job. It often carries all my materials to a job (addy and tiles can quickly add up to half a ton load). It's big enough to carry over boarding sheets and an overhead cutter when necessary. Sometimes it has to carry the lot.

The cab is my office and rest room. It's big enough to sit my dogs in (admittedly not a necessity for every tiler). The load area serves as a cloakroom and work space when necessary.

But all this is unimportant when compared to reliability. My first van was a Transit just 3 years old. It broke down 5 times in the next 2 years. It cost over £2500 in repairs. When I finally came to trade it in it was suffering from a rotted sub frame - the only people who would give me anything for it was webuyanyvan.

I personally prefer a Transit sized van, but a lot of tilers use the smaller vans and get all their supplies delivered.

Since the the transit episode I only buy VW Transporters. Never let me down. Fuel consumption currently 38mpg. The Transporters are not without their problems, some owners have suffered d gearbox troubles, but all mine are great. They are more expensive to buy, but much cheaper to run. Ford charge more for spare parts than the equivalent BMW costs - God help anyone who has to replace clutch flywheels on their Transit. Then when you come to sell you discover how much value the Transporter keeps - my last one lost just45% over 3years and it was classed as "poor" condition- that's due to 3 years of abuse! And all Transporters are built with galvanised bodies - rust free bodywork.

vehicles are very much about personal taste. Some people love individuality of Fiat, Citroen, and Vauxhall vans. Some only ever feel comfortable in Fords - there is a reason why there are so many Transits on the road, it's probably the most successful van ever made. My advice is buy what you personally like - if you have the bad luck to get a duff van, get rid of it and get another.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Ive had , Vauxhalls, renaults, fords, peogeuts,fiats, Mitsubishi and now got a vito .
Worst by far vauxhall ( it was in 88) next was transit (about 1990) both broke down most months.
The rest have been good vans.
Spend a bit more and get a vito or transporter, its your livelihood you always need a van.by a long way the best vans on the market .
Id buy 2nd hand , get a vito or vw with 100000on it its like buying a tranny with 20000 on, or so my mechanic told me [emoji15]

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
I just got myself a VW Transporter T4, I had a Transit before and it just dissolved, it was reliable for 3 years, but the bodywork just disappeared in front of my eyes, and then the fuel pump went, steering pump and water pump all within a couple of months, cost me a fortune in repairs last year, I just lost heart with it in the end. The Transporter is so economical it's unbelievable, it's a 2.5 litre 5 cyl turbo and sooo nice to drive and not many miles on the clock, it's worth trying to find the extra money for one if you can you won't be disappointed :thumbsup:

Reply to What van man! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB