Discuss what wattage for a small bathroom? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

X

xelaris

The bathroom area is about 2.5 sqm but the available area for laying an electric mat is only 1.3 sqm....apparently the best option is to have about 150w per sqm - so in my case I should look for 375w - should I go for the more powerful mats/cables? - I've seen some cables are rated 10w per linear meter and others 15w....ditto for some mats: some are rated 150w sqm and others 200w sqm (which apparently is only a question of having the same cables spaced a bit closely). If so, wouldn't be better to opt for cables and choosing the closest (more concentrated) pattern?

It is possible to increase the heating area by removing some tiles (some hard work needed) - this area is going to be covered by a shower cubicle...this might be relevant as the cubicle takes probably a quarter of the bathroom (less area/volume to be heated? If so, less wattage needed?)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Sounds to me like UFH is a waste of time here. The heat output from the limited floor area is likely to be less than the heat loss from the room itself making the UFH overworked and inefficient. Have you done any heat loss calcs to see if it is worth it?

X

xelaris

Sounds to me like UFH is a waste of time here. The heat output from the limited floor area is likely to be less than the heat loss from the room itself making the UFH overworked and inefficient. Have you done any heat loss calcs to see if it is worth it?

No proper calculations done...I've just checked some posts of similar bathrooms (the actual sizes are 1.75 x 1.45 x 2.2) - but it looks like the available area is just too small (about 50% of the whole). As I've mentioned it is possible to increase the available area to up to about 2 sqm.....that way it is possible to install a 400w mat.
Another option would be to install an electric towel radiator for winter - if I get 250w from the UFH cable/mat and 150w from a radiator?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
You would be wise in my opinion to sort some proper heat loss calcs to make sure it won't still be cold. Perhaps the UFH for background heat and a rad as you say might be the answer but if you pump 400w/h into the room but the room loses 500w/h it will never get warm.

X

xelaris

You would be wise in my opinion to sort some proper heat loss calcs to make sure it won't still be cold. Perhaps the UFH for background heat and a rad as you say might be the answer but if you pump 400w/h into the room but the room loses 500w/h it will never get warm.

originally there was a small radiator (from a gas central heating system) - the bathroom felt a bit cold during most days of winter, but there was no insulation - while now there is wall and roof insulation....suggestions for conservatories is 200w sqm - I guess this should also apply to my bathroom too which is basically an extension facing south.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to what wattage for a small bathroom? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good evening to all. I’m here this evening looking for some advice if you would be so kind...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Okay so I'm going to start the ball rolling. I'd like the forum to be handy for all, including...
Replies
Views
This is about a Victorian conversion property I am buying. I agreed purchase on condition that I...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
S
Hi all, I am having an extension build and need some guidance. I have chosen to install the...
Replies
Views
Staplebug
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB