UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss What would be your "ball park" figure in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Hi guys and girls.

I just want to gauge some opinions on a quote i've just done. Not sure if some/all or none of you do complete installs but i'll try and give as much information as i can:

The bathroom is 1715mm x 2015mm
Stud walls and plasterboard on 3 sides. Window wall is block/render and skimmed

I have written my quote out basically as follows:

Bathroom re-fit and tiling:
Remove current bathroom suite, wall tiles and floor covering.
Check condition of floorboards and re-board if necessary. Over board floor with 6mm hardibacker cement board.
Check condition of walls after removing tiles and repair where necessary.
Prime walls ready for tiling.
Install double ended, extra deep bath. 1700x750 Delta. Bath to have side panel built and tiled.
Plaster skim and/or re-board ceiling and install four zone suitable downlighters.
Paint ceiling (white) in bathroom suitable paint.
Create stud wall over bath, incorporate two “display” reveals.
Supply and fit zone suitable downlighters in each reveal.
Tile walls and floor with customer supplied tiles.
Supply and fit the following:

• 600mm BTW unit in natural walnut with enclosed dual flush cistern
  • 600mm Base unit in natural walnut
  • Coffee stone acrylic worktop
  • Brown limestone 40x30x15 countertop basin
  • “Blade” bath/shower mixer and extended basin mixer taps
  • BTW pan with soft closed seat
  • Square chrome 1162x500 towel warmer with square decorative valves
  • Wall hung illuminated mirror
Remove and re-hang bathroom door to open into landing.
Make good door casing and paint.
Remove extractor fan.
Supply all plumbing and waste fittings.
Supply all sheet materials, timber and cement boards.
Supply all adhesives, grouts and sealants.
Supply skip to remove all waste materials.
Supply all paint and fillers for decorating.

the main products i have told them they're getting is:

Delta luxury twin end bath – Page 84 Bathrooms to love brochure
Blade bath/shower mixer and basin mixer taps – Bathstore - Blade taps
Vanity furniture and worktop – Page 56 and 59 Bathrooms to love brochure (worktop on page 66)
Watermark BTW pan and enclosed cistern – Bathstore - Watermark back to wall WC exc seat
Limestone countertop basin – Better Bathrooms - Fantastic Brown Rectangular Basin
Square chrome towel warmer – Bathstore - Square chrome radiator

I'm supplying everything but the tiles which they have already purchased. I'll keep my price under my hat first because i really would like others opinions on what they think the value of the job is. I did price it without offering any of my trade discount over. I.E the 20-40% discount i recieve off the products has not been taken off. This was my bargaining power.
I though i did a very competative price but judging by their short email i recieved today they suggest i'm too expensive. Although i haven't been asked to look at it, just that they would have a re-think, get more quotes and get back to me. I'm more than happy to do this, and i might be reading too much into it. But when i went to see them i was asked to "quote on mid-range products and if it's too much we can adjust" i built up a good rapor with them, however they're not asking me to look at my quote again. Basically just saying they will have a think and look elsewhere.

I've been working for a company the last 2 years. When i finally get round to introducing myself properly in the Arms i'll give you a bit of my background history. But i'm nervous a little that what with being out the quoting game for 2 years that i'm not up to date on current costings and pricing.

What do you guys think?

Ali Gage

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
There is an awful lot of work there. How many days do you think you can do it in? Then double it. Water/electrics/tiling. Plumbing materials cost an absolute fortune these days. Do you have to clear your tools up at the end of the day or can they be left? Will the customer be living at the house? Whatever you buy these days will always have a couple of screws or parts missing. Are you doing this by yourself? What is access like? Do you have to put the units together yourself? There are so many elements to this job I would find it difficult to put a price on this job without taking about 2hours to work it out.

When I had a single story extension and new kitchen/utility room built 2 years ago the quote was smaller than yours! I personally think there is too much detail in your quote. If you get the job then great, all the effort will have been worth it. If all your quotes were like that then it can be soul destroying if you don’t get the jobs.

Good luck and I hope you get it.

Cheers
Sean

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I've allowed 3 weeks to complete the job. To provide you with a bit more detail:

After de-tiling and removing all items from the room the floor will come up and be replaced, plumbing put under the floor and brought up where necessary for new items. All pipework fitted with isolators. Ply and cement board in.
Ceiling to be pulled down, wiring for lighting installed including power in wall down to illuminated mirror and in aea over bath where "display boxing" is to be constructed for downlighters. Re-board ceiling with tapered boards, fill joins, prime and paint.
bath to install, create "display boxing", install fitted furniture (carcasses come pre-built).
Prepare walls for tiling, tile, grout, seal. Install final items, clean down and seal up.

These are the sort of jobs i've always done. Complete project start to finish. 3 week time frame is easily achievable. It's price, i'm confused by the customer i think. Because i've been out of the quoting pretty much for the last 2 years i just wanted to clarify cost.

When your customer shows you what sort of thing they want in the books they're provided by you. Prices on the pages as well i can't understand how it's too expensive. I won't buy work or work for peanuts. Have i just got a time waster or a dreamer on my hands??

This year all I've had are full bathrooms one seems to be rolling on to another by word of mouth i have set prices for for fitting, tiling by m2,electrics floor prep etc. I always take my own catalogs from my own suppliers for bathroom suites furniture etc so i know its cheap and i can mark up the prices to retail this way i looks as tho im keeping other costs down i always give good deals without robbing my own pocket . 3 weeks is easily enough time for the said works but price wise they differ all over the county your further down south than me so my prices a bound to be cheaper as im not to far from hull were all skint up here.

M

Mike Mike

I think you're asking the wrong question when you ask how much other people would have quoted. The question that is probably more relevant is how are you going to CLOSE THIS SALE while still making what you want to out of the job.

When you presented the quote, did you sub-total the labour and materials as separate cost items? If not, do so.

Any quote comprises labour, materials, and VAT on both.

If it is explicit exactly how much is for each category, and how many of each are included in the quote e.g. 15 days (120 hours), 1 bathtub, x, y, z other items, then if the customer starts to waiver then that is your cue to start a dialogue on possible areas you could reduce the cost. They key thing here though is you have put down a marker on how much per hour you are charging, and that doesn't get squeezed.

If they want to save cost then they choose cheaper fittings, or do some of the preparation work themselves, or you jointly come up with ways to reduce the NUMBER of hours but not the hourly rate.

Closing the sale is the key thing, and if you've been working for a company then that is the thing you're probably out of practice on, not the costings themselves. Remember, A, B, C.

A, Always,
B, Be,
C, Closing.

ALWAYS BE CLOSING! :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What would be your "ball park" figure in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

K
Hello, I have just grouted my new tiles and after 3 days it has started to go yellow in...
Replies
Views
R
Hi all. I have a customer who wants his bathroom tiled. There are curently two layers of tiles...
Replies
Views
RDTiling
R
C
Hi there :) I'm hoping some of you lovely people can help me. I'm wanting to tile 3 walls in...
Replies
Views
B
Ok, After 18 months, I am going to remove the plastic sheeting around the bath/shower and tackle...
Replies
Views
blue_max
B
D
How do I drill a hole in a steel bath. Or cast iron bath. Instructions on drilling into baths...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.