Discuss What's this brown stuff on the wall? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rsb123

Removed old tile today and it took the skim coat (?) off the wall with the tiles, leaving the sandy brown layer, with concrete block/brick behind it.

wall.jpg

Questions:

1. What is the brown layer exactly?
  2. If I intend to paint one of the walls, can I just skim coat it with something, sand, prime and paint? If so, with what?
  3. For the walls I'm tiling, I assume skim coat = bad, so how about if I mechanically fix 12mm Hardiebacker and tile onto that? (12x18" travertine - heavy)
  4. Assuming Hardiebacker, do I have to get every bit of old adhesive and skim coat off or can I leave the bits that are firmly attached and apply adhesive, then hardiebacker then screws?
Thanks

D

Daz

I'm deffo no expert on this but it could well be a sand / cement render that has been applied to block work and then skimmed. If the skim coat has blown, then get as much off as you can. This should easily detach with the use of a scraper.

If it is sand / cement then it will be absolutely fine to tile to. Just prep it with a couple of coats of acrylic primer according to the instructions on the bottle. I would use a cement adhesive and not tubbed ready mix too :thumbsup:.

Daz

R

rsb123

It doesn't crumble off the wall easily, most of it is fairly solid and takes a good whack with a cold chisel to knock it off. But it's not solid as cement and I don't feel 100% comfortable attaching heavy tiles directly to it even using Mapei Keraflex Maxi. So I'm still thinking cement backer board screwed to solid wall (i.e. screws through browning into block).

For the painted wall, I will just skim it and paint though.

U

user123

If the back ground is brick or block work it would be a browning, if it was a plasterboard or a low suction (concrete or a surface coated with a pva) back ground then bonding would be applied.

MG, your talking a lime mortor background on laths and a lime finish which can be very powdery..

Great, thanks Mark, love to learn. You can tell I've done up old cottages, knocking down walls etc, can't you, never plastered in my life, just remember the 'lime mortar' (good eh? :lol: ) really well, and it does look just like it, remember it in my hair, under my fingernails, all over my overalls... up my nose..

U

user123

And in your lungs, dust masks should worn at all times...naughty:nono: :lol:

Nobody told me that xxxyears ago! Went a shade paler just then when you told me it was lime, didn't know that. :oops: Just stormed at it with crowbar and sledgehammer and ducked from the rebounding hammer and flying laths, with the old rusty nails sticking out, don't even think I had goggles then, nope didn't, oh dear... :blush2:

W

White Room

Nobody told me that xxxyears ago! Went a shade paler just then when you told me it was lime, didn't know that. :oops: Just stormed at it with crowbar and sledgehammer and ducked from the rebounding hammer and flying laths, with the old rusty nails sticking out, don't even think I had goggles then, nope didn't, oh dear... :blush2:

It's the lime that used, it's called hydraulic and if you get it in your eye when it's being applied, it burns badly:oops:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What's this brown stuff on the wall? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

UK Tiling Forum Trending

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.