Discuss what's what? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

V

vosnack

Can anyone explain or point to a proper thread as to how to deal with plastered finished walls, bonding thistle straightened walls etc. Because I just read about something called ettringite failure and it really worries me not to make any mistakes. As it happened few times i tiled over bonding with cement based adhesive, no primer. Also backsplash with ceramic tiles using tub adhesive over skimmed wall. Also if i tile over concrete screed do i always need ditra? I know for you guys these are basics, but i heard and read so many different opinions (sometimes ridiculous) that i don't know what's right. Thanks

V

vosnack

i've read this 'PVA versus Primers' before posting this thread.that's how i foubd out about ettringite and tried to google more information but found not much. something about reaction which creates expansion and debonding.
I take it on board that it wasn't good to tile onto bonding surface (i was told once that it's ok on bonding but not ok on browning which now i know was total rubbish) although what is my option when the wall has bonding on it?Will proper primer do the job?
Fortunately about PVA I know from the begining. Of not using it obviously.
What about tube adhesive to do the backsplash? are these ok onto plaster skim?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to what's what? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

• Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
what's what?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.