Discuss When going self employed, do you think age is an issue? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chris.v

What do people think about self employed vs age?

Im 24 now so this may effect me in a year or so and it may not depending what happens in the foreseeable future but for younger tilers looking to go self employed, will it be more of a struggle?

If i was to get a few quotes for a job and say one of them turned up and only looked about 20, then the next turned up but they were in there mid 40s and they quoted me the same amount for the job, both looked respectable etc... You would lean towards the person in there mid 40s right?. Could argue the case that the older of the two would prob be better due to experience and knowlege. But it might not be the case, the young lad could be very good and been doing it from 16 or younger working for someone very good and the man in his 40s could of learned a little over a short time but be useless.

So do you think age is a factor when getting self employed jobs at a young age?

I

Ian

Some very good points made above being confident and easy to talk to are 2 essential qualities when meeting new people/customers. Make sure you go with loads of ammo such as knowledge of all aspects of the job, the addy and grout you use and your methods. My biggest weapon is my portfolio, people really like to see past work. Take really close up photos of tricky cuts etc and also if you can get your customers to write a letter or note to say how happy they were with your work and keep all of these in your portfolio to back your pictures up. ( I was 26 when I first went self employed)

U

united

hi chris,

i personally believe people buy people..if you are polite, know your stuff and present yourself in a professional manner then you stand as much chance as anybody...... if you are 24 and been tiling since 16, then thats a decent amount ot time to have been in a trade.. you can be a doctor or solictor at that age, so why not a creditable tradesman ;0)

ed

That's so true Ed. I have been on many sales training courses and the phrase 'people buy people' is always the most important lesson to learn

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I too have been self-employed for a good while now and I'm 28. Customers who pay me are the likes of Rubi, 365Drills, Worcester BOSCH, Mapei and whatnot. Though it's not exactly the same, I don't think they'd work with me if I couldn't deliver. I think it's mainly about the skills and the quote process, and then pulling it off, and if you want to profit, you need to do it in good time too (but not rush!). I can imagine some school headmaster type people considering a 20 year old a risk, but I think if you've been passed the work by a tile shop or previous customer who's trusted and trusts you, then you just need to give the customer what they want but explaining what they need to do all that, and then how much and now long.

Waffle waffle waffle. :lol:

Reply to When going self employed, do you think age is an issue? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm looking for a quality grout for my new bathroom (combi shower over bath) and with...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Firstly I have to say that this forum is fantastic, with huge amounts of knowledge...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
Hello. I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out here; I've been reading as many threads...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
When going self employed, do you think age is an issue?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.