Discuss Where do you get your work from? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
:welcome:forneamax,

The quickest way is to get in with a few plumbers or builders, and build up your reputation with them, then you will start to get recommendations off the back of them, a lot of my initial work came from this, it takes time, you will probably find that you have too much to cope with at some point, so start trimming back your contacts to the guys that pay you well and quickly, do good quality work, and actually care about their customers, then you will be at a point that you can actually tell them what you want doing before you start, which will then make their and your life easier. Best of luck mate and keep us updated with your progress. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Somerset
forneamax - myhammer charge £80 every 3 months. When you win a bid you pay a percentage of what you bid - on a £1000 job this will be about £60 + VAT. It is very difficult to make a profit on this site unless you either work at a loss, do shoddy work, or work on a cash only basis using inferior materials. Oh and beware of signing up - myhammer tie you into a 12 month contract - so they guarantee £240 from you even if you never win a job!

Not sure about mybuilder - have not looked into that.

The cheapest internet job site is ratedpeople - they charge £40 + VAT per quarter, and a fee for every job you bid for (even the ones you dont get - you pay to buy the customer contact details). On a job the customer values at £1000 - the fee will be £18 + VAT.

The main advantage with internet sites is that you can go for jobs that you think are liklely to be profitable, achievable, and fit in with your workload. I have tried a few established trade directories - e.g. Yell - charging me £60 a month and I got just 1 job in 3 months! On balance, if you are going for internet trade I have felt that ratedpeople was the best for building up tiling business - I have used them for a year, and I am now getting referals of new customers from satisfied previous customers from this site. Hopefully another 12 months of this and I wont need to pay ratedpeople!

Lastly - I appreciate some excellent advice about trade contacts - but I found myself in direct competition with several very established tilers - so I stood back from that to establish my own name, and work to build my reputation up.

Reply to Where do you get your work from? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Where to get a Tiling NVQ Hi,I did the 4wk course in Warrington back in Sept, being a plasterer...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Where do you get your work from?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.