Discuss Where To Start With This One? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

magga

TF
Nottingham
Hi guys,

Just started a job today ripping an old shower out, was planning on using plasterboard/tile backer and then tanking but have discovered many potential problems.

The plastered wall is soaking wet near the bottom, just crumbles away when you rub it. The battened wall, has old tiles behind it, the battens are more spaced out than I'd like, and fixed to old battens behind the old tiles! They also don't go all the way to the ceiling.

What would you advise doing? Over boarding the plastered wall with tile backer and tanking?

With the battened wall, preferably I'd like to rip it back to original battens and reboard but I don't think customers budget will allow, nor do I have the time.

Any advice appreciated!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Where To Start With This One? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
D
Budget renovation as I just bought the flat. Cavity brick walls, 1 external. Removed old tiles...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just about to embark on an extension and the first job is to move the bathroom into what...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB