Discuss Where's tea bag? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

He's busy learning how to use his new tools! ;)

u7ytege2.jpg

M

Mr Tiler

yeh ive been told that in order to get my loan i need at least the first 3 montrhs fully booked with work so thats out the question.... ive had to put the showroom off until the 10th of feb which is when i go self employed and being honest with the jobcentre does you no favours lol. any reason to try and stop your money thats all they are after. just got to go on the hunt for as much work as i possbly can get booked in so i have some money coming in called over 150 tilers in my area alone today didnt realise there was that many but they are everywhere so it looks like a dark and lonely road for the next couple of years. at least im not starting up in deabt i suppose but we will just have to see what happens from here on starting to feel the stress of finding the work but topped with the problem of not being able to actually do any work is very frustrating dont know how people are supposed to get on in life without breaking the laws in some way.

M

Mr Tiler

strangely martyn it is not... i have had my cscs card about 4 or 5 months now but it i cant use it as a tradesman its only a labourers card. in a nut shell yes it is the same but what could i have done more martyn? beleive it or not the courses this crap government put people on are terrible i completed a course with them a few years back now which was basically a ridiculous 3 day driving lesson in a f.l.t and walked away thinking i could go off and be a fork lift driver... turns out what i done was a waste of 3 days as i cant use it anywhere at all and beleive me ive tried so that is the sort of quality you get from them mate.

M

Mr Tiler

Ash this is just awful.
I think I can say that all we members are rooting for you.
i guess that the one stumbling block for you is that you probably get benefits to support you and your family and if you lose those whilst trying to make a living then you are trumped until you can cover those benefits .
But the fact is that you really want to do it.

yeh mate i think it is just gonna be a struggle and it hasnt gone to plan but iu can cope with the real world i hope... i am still booked to do the showroom so hopefully it will bring a fair bit of work if i can manage to impress with my tiling... if not i will go and jump off a building being the failed father i am!

2 weeks plastering, one week plumbing and one week tiling and it wont be enough as i know for a fact i already know what will be covered.

This type of course would've helped increase your basic knowledge and skills that are sometimes needed for prep, removing toilets/sinks, boarding walls... all the type of stuff you've asked about over the last few months.

Chicken and egg though with needing work, but needing experience to get work.

But its usually easier to find work when you're in work - ie. Any work. Paid employment, whilst persuing dreams on a weekend/evenings etc. As in, some of the folk that decide on a career change etc, but have the option and a Plan B to fall back on. Instead of having 1 egg in 1 big basket

J

jonnyc

yeh mate i think it is just gonna be a struggle and it hasnt gone to plan but iu can cope with the real world i hope... i am still booked to do the showroom so hopefully it will bring a fair bit of work if i can manage to impress with my tiling... if not i will go and jump off a building being the failed father i am!
Ash not keen on the last sentence.
your family will never have been prouder than what you are doing now.
I actually need to find one of my best friends who started me in tiling in first place .
unfortunately he is living rough on the street in Birmingham . I don't know exactly where but he is in a very bad way and I have to find him very soon.

Reply to Where's tea bag? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello friends. I am looking for a bit of advice, you would be so kind. I have been a long...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hello, as a novice, I need some advice. Our landscapers have been doing a fantastic job so far...
Replies
Views
Afternoon all Perfect Level Master first time tiling went for the best (highly rated on here)...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB