Discuss Which 180mm blade for cutting porcelain tiles. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I bought a Vitrex 750 tile cutter the other day to cut some Wickes 600 x 300 x 9mm glazed porcelain tiles.

The standard blade chips badly so I also bought a Vitrex Hi Glaze blade 103406 which cuts better but still chips the edges a bit and has a bit of runout in it.

Is the runout in the blade likely to cause the chipping?

Any recommendations for a blade that will not chip or is it just what will happen with this type of tile?

If it's a blade I can go and pick up today that would be very helpful.

I've also tried cutting the tile both ways up and also tried covering it with tape first too but that seems to have little effect.

S

Stef

I have'nt but considering the price I paid for the montolit blade I'd give one a try next time if there that much cheaper....

Mark, honestly I was shocked at how well the blade cuts. I used Marcrist for a few years then switched over to Montolit & the pro-gres was the best blade I had used until I got these through from ATS.
I would say there's virtually nothing between the 2 so as you can imagine your as well going with the ATS purely for the cost.

C

Concrete guy

I've got a DNA in my Dewalt & I'm not that impressed with it, I think the standard Dewalt blade I got with the cutter gives a better finish.

For wet saws Rubi, Dewalt etc then a continuous rim blade (of any brand) is going to provide a better finish, particularly on very dense porcelain.

Your standard Dewalt blade gave a better finish than the DNA not because it's a better blade - simply because the continuous rim design suits cutting porcelain better than a semi continuous rim.

The benefit of a turbo blade is more obvious when cutting dry, the design of the perimeter of the blade helps remove the waste material for the cut channel and also cool the cutting head. In a wet saw the water does this job and negates the requirement for a shaped or stepped segment.

Bricks, roof tiles, clay tile etc benefit from segmented blades to remove the waste material rapidly and you often don't need the same degree of finish on a brick as a polished porcelain tile.

So various blade designs suit various applications. So unless you have a specific blade for specific products i.e. one for each of marble, porcelain, ceramic, granite, quartz (which are available) the best all round product design is continuous rim. It will cut everything.

In an ideal world you'd use the following:-

Marble - electroplated or vacuum brazed blade or metal bonded specific for marble.
Granite - segmented (laser welded preferable)
Quartz - turbo
Porcelain - Continuous rim for dense material
Ceramic - Continuous rim for medium to hard material
Concrete - segmented blade usually laser welded

As most tilers don't really want half a dozen blades, the best all round is continuous rim in a wet machine. It might not be as fast as some of the other options, but the quality of cut won't be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the blade arrived yesterday as promised and I did a few cuts and the results are the best I've managed so far and look to be inline with the pictures of cuts posted in one of the other threads on here.

The best results are with the glazed side facing downwards and going slowly and this results in some small chips that can generally be tidied up and hidden.

I'll have a better go with it today or tomorrow and see how I get on.

One thing I did notice is that the blade is about the same width as the fence at the back so you to ensure that it's all well aligned.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Which 180mm blade for cutting porcelain tiles. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
10 minutes ago Add bookmark #1 Which mapei adhesive ( it's convenient for me to buy this...
Replies
Views
hats67 - Yesterday at 11:48 PM Add bookmark #1 Hello guys. I came upon and registered with...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB