Discuss Which Adhesive for Tile Over Tile? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

barney48

My husband is retiling our shower and although he is taking off some tiles he wants to leave the back wall alone. Its tiled onto ply and is 1.m x 2.08m. I have chosen 300 x 400 tiles (around 20 tiles with cuts) and cannot find enough details on an adhesive that will do the job.
I have looked at so many manufacturer websites and I am now so confused I am off to lay down in a darkened room will some genius can advise.
I know most will say take off the tiles but its taken me a few years to get him round to redoing it in the first place!
any help would be much appreciated.

G

grumpygrouter

It is never a good idea to tile on tile unless you have absolutely no choice. Even worse you have ply on your bathroom wall to tile onto and you have a recipe for disaster.
Ply isn't a suitable substrate to tile onto in a bathroom as the moisture and heat can have an adverse effect and possibly de-bond you tiles. Add on to that the additional weight of your new tiles, adhesive and grout and you could be looking at serious and potentially dangerous consequences!
You would be much better to rip out the ply and put up a proprietary tile backer board such as Hardie, Wedi/Marmox type boards or Aquapanel.

O

One Day

Smash the tiles around the perimeter with a hammer, (wearing good goggles and gloves.)
Then cut through the board using a saw. Saw+wrecking bar+brute force will have the wall off the studs in no time.

Then re-board using Schluter Kerdi Board. Tape the edges using Kerdi-Band and Kerdi-Col to ensure waterproof.

- That's what I would do at least.

Times when I have gone tile onto tile with larger tiles, I have always used BAL mosaic-fix. It has high polymer content so it "bites" into glazes well and it's also easy to work with with very little slip and extended working time.

G

grumpygrouter

thank you- you are aptly named!
We were discussing this over dinner and I did mention taking down the wall but as my husband said he would still have to get the tiles off to get at the screws that held the ply on, now having read your post it does seem that there is no quick fix!
I'm not grumpy really, was just answering your question that's all. :grin:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Which Adhesive for Tile Over Tile? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Which Adhesive for Tile Over Tile?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.