Discuss Which grout to use when in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Joe_tile

Hi,
I try to be a perfectionist and fully understand all products I am using, so I can specify the right product for the job.

Now the issue I have mainly is tenanted bathrooms. The main issue I have is always having to re-gout the areas by the showers/bath as they always get mouldy (from lack of cleaning/care by the tenants) What is the best for these wet areas, especially when used oftern.

Is epoxy grout best? If so what tips over standard grout and any disadvantages besides cost and easy of application? Are they really much harder to use?

Which products are best? Bal?

Also for grout removal what is best (dremel or feinmaster) And anyone tried the very cheap Vitrex VITGO200VT Grout Removal Tool?

Advise on when to use what grout (when seeking the best) would be great.
many thanks in advance for your help

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
Hi joe,
Have you seen the grout colouring stuff,they come with very good warrantys! Saves a lot of labour and risk of chipping tiles. I've put a little video on utube of me using the Vitrex but I wouldn't recommend it for joints wider than 1mm?! As for epoxy they still discolour despite what they say!! It's waterproof that's it IMHO
You need to use neutral cleaners for your maintaining....! Hope this helps

J

Joe_tile

Hi joe,
Have you seen the grout colouring stuff,they come with very good warrantys! Saves a lot of labour and risk of chipping tiles. I've put a little video on utube of me using the Vitrex but I wouldn't recommend it for joints wider than 1mm?! As for epoxy they still discolour despite what they say!! It's waterproof that's it IMHO
You need to use neutral cleaners for your maintaining....! Hope this helps 

Not seen the grout colouring stuff, unless its like the grout pen, ( I have used the wicks version but it did not colour the grout well and when smoothing just came off, but if it was not smoothed it would look awful)

I have used recently the bal microflex, then when dried properly seal it with grout sealer. However this was a very easy product to use but no idea how it will last.
Is this the best option for tenanted bath/showers?

Also when just recolouring grout what it the best products and way to do it so it covers properly so the old grout does not show though where the original grout is not as sunk in (hope u understand what I mean by this)

Thanks for the advise above!

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
Not seen the grout colouring stuff, unless its like the grout pen, ( I have used the wicks version but it did not colour the grout well and when smoothing just came off, but if it was not smoothed it would look awful)

I have used recently the bal microflex, then when dried properly seal it with grout sealer. However this was a very easy product to use but no idea how it will last.
Is this the best option for tenanted bath/showers?

Also when just recolouring grout what it the best products and way to do it so it covers properly so the old grout does not show though where the original grout is not as sunk in (hope u understand what I mean by this)

Thanks for the advise above!

Hello again,
Bal grout and sealer the best option IMO..
That's the only draw back with the grout colourants if the grouting hasn't been applied properly then it won't work!!
http://www.tradetiler.com/products/grouting/grout-recoloring.html
Give Dave a call at trade tiler hell help you with advice about the grout colouring!
Hope that helps joe

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Which grout to use when in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Last week I had grouted a bathroom floor of 100x100 porcelain mosaics using Kerakoll...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB