Discuss Which Hardiebacker????? - Hardiebacker Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Perfect Tiling

Hi all...hope everyone is well.
Hopefuly this is a quick one...Which hardibacker do you guys prefer to use as an overlay for suspended timber floors. I used to use the 250 (6mm) version and never seemed to have a problem, then I spoke to BAL and they said they would not recommend using this unless I used a fully flexible addy. I like to use their single part flex but they say I must now use the 500 (12mm) hardibacker or they wont guarantee it. Customers aren't too bothered which one I use as its still better than 15mm or 18mm plywood. Just thought I'd get some other opinions. Many thanks. :thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

The problem I have up here is limited suppliers for adhesives. I have to do a 100 mile round trip to get materials at a reasonable cost from Topps. As I said, I never had a problem with tiles failing on the 6mm so shouldn't need a 25 year guarantee. Thanks for your reply...appreciate your time :thumbsup:
Try going to CTD or Collinsons and open accounts. Topps are way too expensive. Decora do BAL too but it is retail prices - Ouch!!

My round trips to both these are like yours but it is something you just have to do!!

P

Perfect Tiling

CTD...Collinsons...where would my nearest ones be at. I live and work in Elgin so am about 50 miles from Inveness and 70 from Aberdeen. The BAL SPF costs about £21 from Topps...believe me that is cheap compared to getting it local. I tend to use dunlop addy for below the hardibacker as its a lot cheaper and seems to do a good job...as i say...no failures over the years...just that BAL tech line comments got the brain going!!!!

G

grumpygrouter

CTD...Collinsons...where would my nearest ones be at. I live and work in Elgin so am about 50 miles from Inveness and 70 from Aberdeen. The BAL SPF costs about £21 from Topps...believe me that is cheap compared to getting it local. I tend to use dunlop addy for below the hardibacker as its a lot cheaper and seems to do a good job...as i say...no failures over the years...just that BAL tech line comments got the brain going!!!!
Both in Inverness. CTD do Mapei and BAL and Collinsons do BAL and some ardex if you ask for it. Sadly no Tile Giant in these parts......

S

Scott

Hi all...hope everyone is well.
Hopefuly this is a quick one...Which hardibacker do you guys prefer to use as an overlay for suspended timber floors. I used to use the 250 (6mm) version and never seemed to have a problem, then I spoke to BAL and they said they would not recommend using this unless I used a fully flexible addy. I like to use their single part flex but they say I must now use the 500 (12mm) hardibacker or they wont guarantee it. Customers aren't too bothered which one I use as its still better than 15mm or 18mm plywood. Just thought I'd get some other opinions. Many thanks. :thumbsup:

Its not better than ply if there is any deflection in the floor as it wont stiffen or strenghten the floor.

I use 12 for wall and if the need arises 6 for the floors

Reply to Which Hardiebacker????? - Hardiebacker Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm having the majority of the ground floor of my house tiled (35m²) and I'm not...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I am planning on tiling my bathroom floor, I removed the old tiles myself which were...
Replies
Views
Hi All and thank you in advance. I'm DIY'er with quite good general understanding and capable of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Which Hardiebacker????? - Hardiebacker Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.